German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: Amaruq
Originally Posted By: istieAre these large dogs shown? If so ho do they go?
Over here some are about 70cm, not sure of inches i think about 30inches
Nope most of the over the standard dogs are not shown and many are not worked in any way "over here". Over the standard also generally means that their "working" career would be shorter as well as the GSD body just isnt designed to woro at that size.
Correct, Odin is not shown and he was neutered to ensure not passing on his oversize gene. It crops up from time to time in his bloodline and harkens back to the old days when large GSDs were the norm and not considered an aboration. He is directly decended from my father's original line that he started 60 years ago from a German import named, Trig. He bred for large GSDs right up until the early '80s when the goal was changed by then for lighter dogs. The large gene still pops up now and then as my dad's line continues now with another breeder here in Vermont which is where Odin came from.

He is, however, quite active Ruq. He was trained for a mix of many skills even some Schutzhund ones although I never focused him on any one particular path. It was my intention that he be my "display dog" for my work as a dog trainer so that clients could get a good idea of the range of things their dogs were capable of. He'll be 7 at the end of February but he still has an awesome amount of power. When we go skijoring it's he who is the vast majority of the strength on the other end of the harness. Frigga often is essentially along for the run.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for that. I should have said in Australia - over here. lol
Thanks for the explanations. I did not realise that until the early 80's there was a different size/standard.
Ho wonderful that you have a dog from your fathers lines - must be very special.
Has Odin had any health issues associated with his size? Or just the normal gsd ailments?

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: istieThanks for that. I should have said in Australia - over here. lol
Thanks for the explanations. I did not realise that until the early 80's there was a different size/standard.
Ho wonderful that you have a dog from your fathers lines - must be very special.
Has Odin had any health issues associated with his size? Or just the normal gsd ailments?
My father turned over most of his dogs (he kept two) when he retired from breeding and training GSDs. The woman he turned them over to was the breeder he had most often matched his dogs up with in years previous so there's a long history there. When Odin was returned to that breeder by his first owners and suffered from that, she called me first to offer him to me knowing I would both have interest in him and the ability to train him and heal his psyche. It was among the best things that ever happened to me. I've had eight GSDs in my life thus far. Odin is tied with Max as my "heart dog" - that dog that usually comes once in a lifetime. I have been doubly blessed.

Odin has mild HD. It doesn't have anything to do with his size though. Since changing his diet to higher quality food and adding supplements such as Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Vitamin E, and Ester-C he has no sign of the stiffness he occasionally had before when getting up after sleeping. He's become alot bouncier too. While not a cure, the supplements do much to retain his quality of life. At 6 years and 10 months of age he's doing quite well indeed. He runs well and often and makes good jumps getting his frisbee. We don't do the hurdles over the fence anymore just to be safe as he is getting older and there's no need to take unnecessary risks. He pulls like a Clydesdale though when we go skijoring.

·
Registered
215 Posts
How old was he when you got him? Had he been abused?
He looks like a beautiful boy.
I am glad he ended up with you, it was meant to be.

G

·
0 Posts
He was 5 months old when I got him. He'd spent his first three months away from his mother with a young couple who he was a very bad match for. The husband had evidently had a GSD when he was a kid and that's what convinced the breeder that they could deal with a GSD puppy, but the mother was never exposed to dogs at all before and they had a 4 year old boy. The mother could deal with one and not two new lives. Odin (then named "Cylon"
) was locked up alone almost all the time and developed severe separation anxiety. Eventually they realized they couldn't handle him and returned him to the breeder. She called me knowing that I was both capable of curing him of his problem and would be interested in him all the more so as he was a direct descendant of my father's line and the great great grandson of my beloved Max. It was indeed meant to be. I never thought I'd have a dog again the equal of Max, but I do. One saved my life and the other saved my soul. Somebody was looking out for me even more than them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
THat is so sad for them, but so lucky for both you and Odin.
I am happy for you that he found his way to you

21 - 27 of 27 Posts