German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female who will be 3 in October and a male who turned 1 this past may. At any hint of excitement or play my boy goes at my female. If i take them to an open field she can't run 2 steps before he goes for her neck. She is so used to it she has learned a quick maneuver to dodge him. If we start talking to him and he gets excited he will go grab her even if she is sleep. If my kids run he will chase and give them a pretty good bite. Here is my confusion. When i brought my girl home she was your typical land shark pup. She tore ankles up and my kids wouldn't even play with her. She learned bit inhibition. When we brought our boy home he didn't bite at anyone or anything. So much so that I never taught him anything about not biting. Is he just hitting this stage late?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Sounds like the 1 year old is trying to engage the female in play. Also, sounds like the 1 yr old gets hyperstimulated. Maybe more socialization and more directed work, Walking, training, etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
Make sure you take your youngster out for lots of walks and activities without our older gal. Your 1 year old can get to the point where nothing is much fun apart from pestering your female. Also remember your boy is still a teenager, spunky and needing to mature mentally. So taking out your over sized pup for his own adventures will give your gal the breaks she might want. And then take her out for her own adventure, too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Guess I'm lucky. Worst thing that happens is Elke goes up to Duke and 'removes' a toy from his mouth. She walks off triumphantly and he looks at me like, 'what just happened?' There is an occasional growl of disagreement but that's it. She is older - 8 or 9 and he is younger - maybe a year to 18 mos.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I got tired of my pup harassing Deja on our leisure coffee walks on the property in the morning. He would jump on her, bite in her neck and on ears. She would just shrug him off as if he was a pesty fly. I was worried that at one time she would snap and send him to to the doggy ER. He never does it on other walks or on trails. So I used "Leave It" once he knew and responded to that one well ( at 4 months old). Has solved all mine and Deja's irritations and puppy is still happy. If I am interacting with either one of them, the other has to back off. I taught them that by body blocking the dog that tried to interfere. It's canine language; they do it to each other all the time, like when one has a toy and the other comes over with the intention to take it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 6 months old male was relentless (play nipping at his neck, pulling on his collar) with my 5 year old to the point where i was feeling bad for the older dog but half the time, it was the older dog who would have a toy and push it into the pups face to get play time going. We have curbed the wresting in the house but they are really best friends on our walks and have started pack hunting squirrels in the woods.

But your dog "If my kids run he will chase and give them a pretty good bite." is a complete non-starter that should be stopped immediately and no, it's not "hitting the stage late"

Pups get one chance to give a pretty good bit (I hope you mean a nip) to a child and that should be corrected swiftly and forcefully such that they understand the correction is worse than the fun of chasing/nipping.

Did your pup come home early perhaps and not learn to not bite from Mom/littermates? Let me be clear, 1 year is far too old to be biting. That needs to have been corrected before adult teeth were present as that's exactly why so many people are scared of GSD.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Mine still do that and my young one is now 5. I intervene. By now, he know a Leave It command which also works for rough playing. He is very playful and persistent, so if that doesn’t stop him right away, I keep a squirt bottle with water by the door and I just give him a quick squirt in the face, which distracts him and reminds him to stop. It is harmless play, but also annoying to her. If she ever decided to fight back, I could see a problem developing. Sometimes she responds by playing, so she reinforces it. Most of the time, he gets bored and runs off. I also keep his toys nearby to distract him. It only happens in the yard. When we go somewhere else, they are so happy, they don’t do the play dance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts