German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been so gosh darn hot here in lovely southern Iowa that it is ridiculous. Poor Sasha spends most of her day cooped up inside (as do I for that matter). Luckily now that my most time consuming summer class is over I think we're gonna try to go down to the lake a couple evenings a week just so she can get out but still stay cool.

How are you and your dogs beating the heat?

·
Registered
996 Posts
a little bit of this

with a little bit of this :)

still get exercise while staying cool.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4TheDawgies: That photo cracks me up!

I'm taking stats, astronomy, and I just got done with American Indian film. I was also taking a bio class, but I dropped it to have a little bit of free time.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
AC all day long inside, no exercise during the afternoon since we have a heat wave right now. Lots of swimming at the lake, his pool and the sprinkler. Lots of water, lots of time to rest and cool down.

·
Registered
646 Posts
its been 100 and above in virginia..with heat indexes of 113..ive taken to driving them to the tennis court at night and throwing them the ball and just running the court with them..even the street is too hot to walk on..early morning ive taken them to the river and the park because the trails are in the woods so its shaded and cooler..but then i run into tick problems...and now that we are playing ball at 10 at night..we are all up till midnight :crazy:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rivers and I have been spending our days off at the dog beach! He can't get enough of the water. When we exercise or go out in the middle of the day we always come home and play in the backyard with the hose to cool off (and of course bring cold water EVERYWHERE). On days that it is way too hot and we aren't at the beach we do lots of training indoors to tire him out. He has learned a few new tricks so far this summer :)
And when we have nothing else to do we go over to my mom's house, blast the AC and let Rivers and her dog run around the house and wrestle for a while!
Also, I invested in a cooling vest for him. Mostly for after agility (his class is 11:30-1:00 :eek:), and for when we vacation in the dessert - hiking, spending a long time on the boat, etc. It has come in handy and works great! Not to mention it eases my worries!

·
Registered
284 Posts
its been 100 and above in virginia..with heat indexes of 113..ive taken to driving them to the tennis court at night and throwing them the ball and just running the court with them..even the street is too hot to walk on..early morning ive taken them to the river and the park because the trails are in the woods so its shaded and cooler..but then i run into tick problems...and now that we are playing ball at 10 at night..we are all up till midnight :crazy:
Its been cold and raining all day here in london:rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Heat index was 109 here yesterday, temp of 101. Yuck! :crazy:
Lots of water, kiddie pool, playing in the hose spray, play with ice cubes. They also have cooling vests when they are working, mainly for recuperation when done. They have to be out in it, so we all just try to make the best of it and find creative ways to manage.

·
Registered
813 Posts
We have a place here that lets you rent their pool and let the dogs swim. My dogs had a blast.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another SE-Virginian here! Piper has been wanting to hang outside in the early morning, but once the humidity kicks in she hurries up to potty and come back in! We've braved a handful of afternoons to meet friends at the park. One gal brings a tupperware cake pan with a block of ice to break up and add water for the dogs to drink. Mostly the dogs play and wrestle in the shade for a few minutes, plop down to cool off, go to the baby pool, and just generally hang out. Piper came to the barn with me and while a hosed the horse off in one wash rack, she stood in the other wash rack and got spritzed too! Indoors we've been working on some agility contact practice using a box. Unfortunately our dog beach got closed when the city took over Fort Monroe :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
My pup seems to have extra energy in this heat! I can only be outside for a few minutes at a time but she is going non-stop since I got home. She uses her kiddie pool but it sometimes worries me that she might overheat herself (not even 5 months old yet).

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
It's pretty simple here, getting up earlier:( to exercise the dogs in the morning and then going for another walk in the evening. I also incorporate some mental stuff to tire them more,but I do that anyway. Every now and then we will go the lake.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts