German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do bloodlines get their names and how are new names created? What does Von vs. Vom mean?

Also, I have a GSD with pedigree info for only the father. Does this mean my male dog can continue the father's extension? What if I had the pedigree for the mother? Would he be a combo of the two???
As you can see I am very confused. I also raise hogs and once a registered hog is bred, the offspring take the name of our farm. Is this comparable? Sorry... my hillbilly is showing lol ;)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Vom and Von both are german for "from." The words are masculine or feminine, much like "el" and "la" in Spanish. Whether you use vom or von has nothing to do with the gender of the dog, owner, or anything else, it only has to do with whether the word following it is masculine or feminine. Again, like "la comida" is feminine in Spanish and "el estado" is masculine.

Dogs are usually named with the name of the kennel they come from, not from the mother or father. Taking someone else's kennel name for your own dog is seriously bad manners. Otherwise you can name your dog whatever you want so long as you're not infringing on anyone else's name.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Vom and Von both are german for "from." The words are masculine or feminine, much like "el" and "la" in Spanish. Whether you use vom or von has nothing to do with the gender of the dog, owner, or anything else, it only has to do with whether the word following it is masculine or feminine. Again, like "la comida" is feminine in Spanish and "el estado" is masculine.

Dogs are usually named with the name of the kennel they come from, not from the mother or father. Taking someone else's kennel name for your own dog is seriously bad manners. Otherwise you can name your dog whatever you want so long as you're not infringing on anyone else's name.
like. thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
And whoever owns the mother of the litter is considered the breeder and determines the kennel name. Say the kennel in question is "von Frecklehaus". If the female they are using is from their own breeding then it will have their kennel name (Suzy von Frecklehaus) and so the pups will have the same kennel name. If they bought the mother from another breeder/kennel, then the female will come with the kennel name of that breeder (Milly von Furryhaus). The male will usually come from another kennel (not always, some of the long established kennels will have a few males in house). So that will be yet another kennel name in the mix (the male could be Rocky vom Bullwinkleschloss).
This is why when you see a number of dogs in a pedigree that are titled and with the same kennel name it is considered a good thing, in that that kennel has been around, has proven their stock and is well established.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The Dude,

Go to the top line, the part in black and click on Forums. Then look through the list of topics (General Information, Choosing a Puppy, whatever) and pick the topic the most closely suits the topic you want to discuss. Click on that topic which will take you to a page of threads within that topic. At the top left of the topics you will see a button marked "New Thread" click it and there you go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts