German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do each of you store your dog food...I just found out a friend had both of her labs die from mold in the food...scary

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Inside in the kitchen in one of those big plastic garbage cans with a snapping lid. It's a normal sized kitchen can, not the outdoor garbage can variety.

It was bought for the dog food - it never held trash.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Mine comes in a ziplock bag and I keep it in the laundry room. I buy it in fairly small bags- 15 lbs- because it doesn't contain artificial preservatives. So I pay about $2.00 more to have fresh food. During the summer I put it in the fridge out in the garage

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I would store the food in the bag it came in, in a plastic can. Plastic can be toxic if it isn't food grade and cause the kibble to be unsafe, especially with an airtight container.

If there is a recall on the food you are feeding, you have the bag and lot # for reference.
I keep my food in the freezer as I rawfeed, but when I fed kibble, I kept it in the freezer in the warmer months. High temperatures and humidity can also make dog food go bad.

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/pet-food-containers.html

·
5,627 Posts
Mine is stored in something similiar to this in a closet by the kitchen. I keep the food in the bag though for the reason's onxy'girl stated.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I keep mine in the "dog pantry" just off my kitchen. The kibble is kept in one of these: Amazon.com: Soft Store - 30 lb Dry Food Storage: Kitchen & Dining

I keep the empty bag from the food with the container until I refill it with a new bag. With all the recalls and changes in formulas from different brands, I feel it's best to keep the bag to know the particulars and the expiration date of the food.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just keep my dog's TOTW kibble in the bag I buy it in, and fold down the top of the bag and hold it with a clip. In California, we have very low humidity, especially in the center of the state where I live, so I've never seen kibble get moldy.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
In this box plastic thing with a lid on it. It's not exactly as heavy as a cooler. This time, though, I think I'm going to buy something from petsmart to put it in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use the same container as GSDRaven and I keep it in my pantry with my food. My cereal boxes (tupperware) are on the floor right next to it. The other stuff I use, fresh and frozen get their own drawer in the fridge and freezer depending on it's needs.
I live in Florida though where it's hot most of the year and the A/C is on most of the time and we burn thru a 30 pound bag of food pretty quickly so it doesn't have time to sit around and grow moss.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I keep the open bag in a closet in my house, and fill up a big plastic (food safe) container that I keep near the water bowl. Never seen any sign of mold, but that's a good thing to watch out for, thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
in a durable locking tote box. never had any issues. Since we currently have a storage closet, the food is kept in there but the locking tote is because my dogs not only figured out how to pop the lid and eat when they felt like it, they havent figured out how to open the locking lid. So they tried chewing through it lol. No issues with mold here.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
We use a Vittles Vault. We have used these containers for years. Nothing has ever gotten into them and the food stays fresh. We have the containers in our pantry area.

·
2,967 Posts
We go through a 30lb bag in about a week :) We just keep it in the bag in the extra bathroom.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
We use a Vittles Vault. We have used these containers for years. Nothing has ever gotten into them and the food stays fresh. We have the containers in our pantry area.
What is a Vittles Vault?

EDIT: Never mind - I goggled it :) duh! Those are really cool - I had one many years before and didn't know that was the name of them!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts