German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few short important questions. My boy is 5 1/2 months he is a healthy dog, active, energetic, very intelligent and super quick learner. At this approximate age i understand certain changes the dog goes through at this age.. Meals, certain training he can understand better at this age, socializing diffrent..
1)How many meals do i feed him a day? Please be a little specific about MEALS.
2)Where and how to train him off a leash..?
3)Final one.. some weird question but interesting.. Should he stay outside all day/night or should i have him inside?
Thank you for your patience :hug:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
1. What are you feeding? How often are you currently feeding him?

2. Do you have any training facilities near you? Has he been to puppy class yet? What does he know so far?

3. I would not leave a puppy outside alone. They can get in too much trouble and/or too many bad things can happen. When he isn't supervised, he should be in a crate. Does he have a crate? Is he crate trained? What are you currently doing with him?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts

Are you feeding RAW or kibble? What kind of kibble are you feeding? I would feed 2 meals a day. This is just an example........ I feed my 1.5 year old GSD 2 cups of TOTW at 5am and 1.5 cups of TOTW at 5pm.

You can train him in your yard?

3)Final one.. some weird question but interesting.. Should he stay outside all day/night or should i have him inside?

I would not leave a puppy or a dog outside all night. I am always outside with my dogs when they are outside, I do not leave them outside alone. People steal dogs all the time, even full grown GSD's, Dobermans, Pitbulls......... they steal them all the time. They sell them or use them as baiting dogs for their fighting dogs. I wouldn't take that chance. I would keep him inside where it is more safe. You should buy a crate, put the puppy in the crate when you cannot watch him or when you leave the house, puppies should be crated until they prove to you that they can be out in the house all day and not destroy anything while you are gone.

Your welcome and good luck. Come back here if you have more questions. :)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
1) two meals a day - regardless of what you are feeding.

2) Same questions lucy dog asked. I wouldn't just turn him off leash if he's not been through at least basic training. Get a 15 or 30 foot line and use that initially, the distance will be very telling of how responsive he actually is when further than 6 feet away. Don't just unclip his leash initially - start by tossing it in front of him or behind him and walk 6 feet away. Progress slowly. Use distractions. A dog that's trained off leash better be responsive to you when other dogs, people, or rogue squirrels are in the area or your "off leash training" won't mean much when he catches sight of it and takes off. Have a VERY SOLID RECALL! This is so important! Even if the dog is still learning "stay" he should come every single time you call no matter what or he's not ready for off leash training. Start in your yard, or a large enclosed place (school yards are often fenced in these days and you can usually use them after hours, weekends, and the kids summer vacation - clean up after your dog or it will eventually be closed to the public or at least dogs).

3) Inside.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have a few short important questions. My boy is 5 1/2 months he is a healthy dog, active, energetic, very intelligent and super quick learner. At this approximate age i understand certain changes the dog goes through at this age.. Meals, certain training he can understand better at this age, socializing diffrent..
I personally like small meals so in a perfect world I would feed 3 meals a day.

Off leash must be done in a safe environment which could be your front yard, fenced in back yard, garage, basement, it all depends on your set up.

I am an indoor dog person so I wouldn't leave my dog outside ever. As far as day time this again depends on your set up. How private is your neighborhood, who are your next door neighbors. I would feel better leaving my puppy in a crate but it would be nice if someone could let him out during the day.

Many questions seem easy to answer but so many things need to be factored in.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I
1. I feed my 18 month old GSD 3 small meals a day. It works better for her. She gets 1.3 cups of dry kibble in the am, 1 cup lunch, and 1.5 cups with a teaspoon of yogurt mixed in at dinner.

2. I'm starting mine in the back yard. As soon as she is good about coming (which she is now) I plan on taking her to a baseball field that is all fenced in and then practice there. Also, if you want to practice while you are out, use at least a 20 ft long lead and work with him that way.

3. Definitely inside.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Atleast 2 meals.Preferably 3 meals till they are about 12 months. There is no magic formula here..you will have to figure out the qty yourself by experimenting.

Backyard if it's fenced...else use a long lead
A young dog can get into all kinds of trouble. Your pet is always safer and more comfortable indoors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i'm currently feeding him 3 full cups in his bowl for the whole day till now today.. So now i know exactly how many meals and approxiametly at what times.GREAT!
So far he knows pretty much basic commands and some that i personally wanted him to know such as..
Sit, down, come, heel, stay, wait (for food normally), inside, outside, sleep, poop, pee, kiss, hug, paw, high five (its funny), roll, bark, while walking him - "watch out" when crossing.. maybe i missed a few cant remember what else..
So ok, i will start the off leash training in my yard.
In some cases i think a dog should be left out by himself maybe not for the whole day or sevral hours but defenitly a couple.. to run, play with the other dog (i have 2)explore, "freedom" and to let him do his own thing. I do leave him outside in the day time for a couple of hours (im self empoyed so i come by and check on him) he loves the outside just like he loves the house!! im not saying hes out all the time hes in the house more than out but i let him do him "thing" outside as well. True, dogs can get stolen from ur own back yard exactly like our own lives can be taken in a split second but who are we to judge. long story short.. By now thank god everything is going right for him healthy, happy, energetic, eager and loving!
Thanks to all for the great answers :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention. I play with him alot i do my best to train as much as i can. I love taking him to the park or just a local park i will look into classes in my area. What i love doing with him is.. i set up obstacles in the yard, and we do.. go over, go under, go around, right side, left side.. trying to be as much creative with him as i can.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I fed my current female 3 meals until she was 6 months old. At that age, her growth slowed down a lot and she started putting on weight. (Meaning she was getting too fat for my liking.) So I cut out the afternoon meal rather than cutting down the amount of all 3 meals. She only gets 1 2/3 cups twice a day so she doesn't get a LOT per meal even though she only gets 2 meals instead of 3. If she were the type that needed several cups a day to maintain her weight, I would feed 3 smaller meals.

·
Registered
936 Posts
1. 2 per day with a mid day snack (smaller version of meal). The snack is because he is go go all day in daycare

3. Inside. I would never leave my dog outside night or day. Theft, poisoning, police shot them, etc

·
2,967 Posts
Here's my thoughts.
We feed all of ours 2 meals a day spaced out approx 12 hours. I feed at 6am when I wake up and at about 6pm when we eat dinner.

You need to find someplace safe to work in to start with. Someplace that is fenced where he cannot wander off. Backyards are a good place to start. Or empty parks. You don't want a ton of distractions. Half your battle is just getting him to stay and play with you and not wander off. Build a good play relationship and he will naturally stay closer by, build commands into your play. Don't rely on a leash to train him commands. I almost never train my puppies on lead.

Inside. First I do not think outside unattended is safe. Second it is important to start creating a relationship where your pup views everything is good from you- including his entertainment. You don't really want him creating his own fun, which could include destroying your yard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts