German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if it's natural for GSD's to be very affectionate? I know they're supposed to have an aloof temperament, but I figure that's with strangers, not their "family". I'm still interested to know to what degree everyone's GSD shows you affection...

Koda is very affectionate towards me, and to a lesser degree my family. He likes to be around me at all times, not to the point of smothering, though I don't necessarily consider that "affection". He does, however, like to bury his head close to me quite often. Whether it be in my armpit or chest if I'm laying on the couch, or in my lap if I get on the floor with him. I don't always allow him on the bed, but if I do while I'm laying there, he curls up as close to me as possible and lays his head on my chest. Other times he'll put his front paws on the bed if I'm on it and try to snuggle as close to me as he can that way...

When he shows this kind of affection, he makes me think of a child who wants to curl up next to their parent, or wants a hug. It's almost like I can see that kind of want in his eyes when he's trying to get close to me. I love it, I think my Koda is wonderful. :) I'm just wondering if anyone else's Shepherds are like this?

·
Registered
972 Posts
zero is like that for me. he always sits next to me or leans on my legs. always has to be around me. he goes up to other people to be pet but then comes right back to me.

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
Mine are both very affectionate with us. Keefer is more needy about physical closeness than Halo, but she does seek it out sometimes and certainly doesn't shy away from it when either of us initiate it. He's just as cuddly with strangers, but Halo is more discriminate. Generally, she likes people and enjoys their attentions, but if I have a toy other people disappear for her. Now if THEY have a toy...... :D

Keefer would be smeared all over me like peanut butter if he could find a way. :wub:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sigurd seems to not be that affectionate. He rarely comes up to us for pets, when we come home he could care less, but he does cuddle me/give me kisses at night-time in bed. He likes to be scratched, but never initiates it. I always hug him and pet him though, most of the time he'll walk away. :( In public he seems to keep an eye on me, always watching people/listening out for sounds, but doesn't lean against me or try to be "close". I think he's just super independent and likes to be tough or something, lol. With him being un-affectionate most of the time, I taught him the command "hugs" so he'll jump up and lean against me so I can give him a huge bear hug, I don't think he likes it very much (he doesn't squirm away, he gets more of a "oh mom" look in his eyes)... hahaha. Around the house he does follow me often room to room, so I guess that could be considered affection, but I just think he's just looking out for me!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
all of my gsd's have always been very affectionate with myself, immediate family.

My male dodge, was big time velcro, always had to be touching me. whether on my feet, leaning, whatever..Masi is a smooze to, sleeps on top of me practically, always "rightthere"..

With outsiders, a couple were 'golden retrievers',,but the majority of the ones I had/have, don't much care for outsiders, tolerating of them, but could care less

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Very affectionate! :) Akira is the only one overly affectionate with just about anyone. The others are very aloof with people outside of friends/family that they know well.

Audrey is the only one who doesn't really "come around" to people outside her close inner circle, so to speak. She is a love bug with us and people she knows really well.

Micah is typical shepherd - aloof when you meet him, but friendly and playful once he's known you for a few minutes.

Akira loves everyone.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Rayden likes everyone and believes that all strangers were put on Earth to adore and admire him.

I am, by far, his favorite person. He gets excited to see me coming in the door. He loves the whole family, but he will follow me every where. If I am in the bathroom, he is laying outside the door. When I go into the kitchen, he at least watches everything I do. He makes regular rounds, even at night, to check on everyone

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Blitz is not fond of stranger but will warn up once she meets them a few times and know they are "safe" her greeting to them will be "happy ears" and a few kisses and then she's done with them LOL

As for us, she is very happy to see my husband and is always up for a good rubbing from him. She really loves my children and beats me up the stairs to their rooms to as soon as she hears them wake up in the morning and asks to be put up on their beds so she can kiss them good morning. When it's time for school pick up, I only have to ask her "Do you want to go get Brooke and Payton"....before the sentence is finished she is waiting by the car door, she sleeps the whole way there but as soon as we enter the pick up line she is on the edge of her seat looking for them.

As for my, completly another story...I am 110% her number 1, she is my shadow and SOOOO lovey with me!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie is a big mush. My neighbor said that Wolfie would climb into my skin if he could! LOL! He's always trying to sit in our laps and wants lovins all the time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very affectionate to me and family, and friends. If he doesn't know you, well you won't be a stranger for long!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Jake likes to be close but not very affectionate. He has his moments but I have to initiate the belly rubs, or the petting. He always has to be where I am but not touching me....and he gives me the "love eyes" from across the room.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My pet sitter said it best. "He just tolerates this 'petting thing' that the humans want to do as a quick break before we play ball again."

The only time he is what I consider affectionate is when he is sick or really tired. Sometimes at bed time he lets me scratch his ears and neck and I get the occasional lick on the cheek.

He is a velcro dog though and I guess some people call that affection.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Molly is very affectionate, but has her limits.lol. There are times she wants to be left alone so she will go and lay down somewhere away from everyone. If someone new comes to the house she is very cautious. She will sniff, and watch you. If she feels threatened she will stand her ground and bark at you. She did this to my sister's ex-boyfriend, and he turned out to be a not so nice person.

Tanner is also very affectionate, but he will be protective if need be. Otherwise he is a complete love bug. He loves to cuddle and rub against like a cat.lol. Very vocal.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
My pet sitter said it best. "He just tolerates this 'petting thing' that the humans want to do as a quick break before we play ball again."
Akira to a "t"

She will be very affectionate, but then immediately runs to get her ball and bring it back. She has very, VERY, high ball drive and will do anything for a ball. She would have made an excellent narcotics dog. Too bad she was bred to be a guide dog. :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Panzer loves attention and he always has to be very close by. He lays on my feet when I'm cooking, which I like because then I know where he is! He is most affectionate in the mornings. He helps me wake my husband up - I tell him, "Go find daddy" and he jumps on the bed to lick my husband's shaved bald head & face - ears down - tail wagging. Love it.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
All three of my dogs are affectionate, but I think Karlo is the most. When I am sitting on the couch, he'll come up and just smother me, leaning in close as he can get~ his neck in my face and will stay there tight til I tell him to move!
He "spoons" me every morning when my DH leaves the bed and then lays on my feet until I get up.
Onyx and Kacie love to be loved on, but don't solicit it as much as Karlo does. They all try to keep the others away from me when they have me.
The other family members aren't that into the dogs, so the dogs don't go there for snuggles. With other people all three are aloof, if they know the people then they are warmer. Little kids are foreign to them, they really don't like them:( and Onyx is reactive to them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Karma is very affectionate...but only with primarily me and then Grace second ( 2 yr old daughter ) and wife running third. Strangers can certainly get some love if they call her over but she won't go looking for it. She will actively seek me out and either place a single paw on my knee if I am sitting and let me pat her endlessly or if I am lying down she will come over and do the "flea search" where she clenches her teeth and nibbles away behind my ear looking for cooties with her warm breath huffing away. I love that :wub:.

Karma also loves it when I get her in the UFC / TapOut hug. She is lying on the floor and I straddle her on all fours and smother her whilst rubbing her neck etc. She licks and "starts her engine" GRRUUUOOWWAAAHHHGROOOOO . I can pick her up under the front legs and rub her belly while she stands and I also use her as a pillow if she is conked out and I want to lie on the floor and watch telly which is nice too.

Overall, I think she is a great mix of not too much but just the right amount of love. :hug:

·
2,967 Posts
Ike- VERY. Like a Cat he just rubs back and forth along your legs until you scrub on him.

Argos- VERY. When he's excited he will take you out. When he's calm he will lay on you so you can't move.

Anka- Does a slobbery ball in your lap and maybe two feet punched in your middle count as affection? Except when she's in heat...then she's kind of weird and gives kisses instead of bites.

Cade- Likes to lay next to you and chew on your arm.

Tag- Is in his "busy" stage. He would really rather you didn't hold him back. But he's pretty lovey when he's 1. Tired 2. Having a bath 3. Sick

I kind of think they get more affectionate as they get older...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
my dogs are affectionate with us. If you dont live in the house and you're not a regular.... dont even think about getting anything from them easily. Riley is the only one who is all for attention from most everyone. They tend to be that typical aloof with strangers.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Overall, I think she is a great mix of not too much but just the right amount of love. :hug:
Completely off topic, but since it's my own thread, I don't care...

I clicked on the link in your signature and began reading the post (I'm assuming that's you doing the talking?) about the "Short Suits". Oh man, I about spit out my drink at this part:

Yes…I DO know. NO guy in his right mind would wear one of these nonce suits unless he was a card carrying chutney ferret.
:rofl:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts