German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got "leave it" down, but "drop it" is another story. We play ball/throw the toy a lot. We're playing about an hour a day sometimes a couple times a day. Lucky is an awesome retriever, but we always wrestle to get her to release the toy so we can through it again.

I really don't want to get into a wrestling match with her (even though she loves it) because we're trying to encourage her to <span style="color: #FFCC00">mellow</span> and she has a fairly dominant personality.

The wrestling/tug of war is just a game to her and I can pry the toy out of her mouth without her getting upset. She just likes the tug of war part too much to give it up. I've tried trading for a treat, and that works *if* I have an awesome treat (hot dog, chicken, etc.) but I want to get beyond the treat. Occasionally, she'll trade for another toy, but not "on command", instead just when she's ready to run again. It really is her choice and not because she's being obedient.

Any ideas besides just trading for food? Or if food is the answer, how can I be more effective?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dannay- We play the same game! Lucky loves tug of war but she's not at the point where she'll drop it. It sounds like you do a better job of waiting than I do. Lucky knows that I like to get on with the game (and wear her out) so maybe I need to be more patient. Thanks for your response!

Samuel- Thanks so much. You're totally right about my "need to get consistent". I will try your ideas. I hadn't thought about working on it outside the context of the game, which should have been obvious but I'm slow sometimes :0) . That's a great idea and will probably work. Again, I see I need to be more patient waiting for her to obey and not playing when she doesn't. And I need to work on this when we work on obedience and not just when we play. We do the sprint game, too, and that's the only time she'll drop the other toy in order to go after the recently thrown one. Thanks again for your help!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.