German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my name's Laurie, and I'm glad to have found you! I'm sort of the stereotypical "cat lady"--I even teach English at the local community college.:D I suppose I escape being a complete cliche by riding (and stunting) motorcycles, creating mixed-media art, and dumpster-diving. I'll save telling ya'll about my international canned corn collection for another day. :rolleyes:

My husband and I have been talking this week and have decided to add a GSD to our family. We're in our mid-thirties and have two kittehs: "Vash" the Turkish Van (the reason toilet lids MUST stay closed in our house) and "Moe" the temperamental Oriental Shorthair. No kiddos.

We're looking to bring a puppy home around May since I don't teach during the summer. That way he won't have to start out as a latch-key pup! It's good I've started researching early--so much to learn! And as kooky as it may be, I've decided to name him Grimmy. :wub:

I think (meaning input welcome!) I've narrowed down what type of GSD we're looking for: a working German line?

Qualities/Hopes

Health

Solid Temperament (not shy nor aggressive) We'll definitely work on our basic obedience together, but a potential partner to explore the local Schutzhund Club with would be fun! One way or another we have to work out the face that cats aren't chew-toys. We're a little nervous about this!

A Buddy Companion
--to go hiking and looking for twigs/seedpods/art materials
--to ride shotgun when I go dumpster diving
--to listen to my angsty, existential whining with all due seriousness
--to watch me when I practice on the motorcycle in empty lots at 2am
--to hang out with on the couch watching movies on rainy days

We're just south of Houston, and so far Renaissance Kennels, Germelhaus, and GerdesHaus Kennels are on my "check 'em out" radar. Suggestions welcome! I'm willing to drive a pretty good clip to get find the right fella.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, you will be able to learn a lot here that will help you with your new puppy when you get it.

There are lots of knowledgeable people on here with great advice! :welcome:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Welcome. OMG YOU HAVE A TURKISH VAN!?!?!?!?! Sorry. I love those wacky cats!!! We had a T.V. for a couple years until we moved in with my MIL for a short period and she feel in love with the shredder cat and he's fat and happy and causing all kinds of trouble in their house now. his name is Lucky. Yeah.... his name fits him nicely lol. Does your T.V. have the two different colored eyes?

Sounds like you're already ahead of most in knowing what you want! Welcome to the board. We look forward to seeing pictures of your pup when you get him/her and i especially wouldnt mind seeing pictures of your Turkish Van!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hi, from Friendswood, Texas. I got a puppy from Joe Tackett in Dayton, Texas. My boy is W. German/Slavic and we also have a Schutzhund club that meets there. You can PM me for more info.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi, love your intro!
It is certainly possible to find a balanced working line pup that will do well in Schutzhund and coexist with the cats in a peaceful, even paternal way. My GSD goes from this:

to this:

without any hiccups!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome! You'll fit right in here! BTW Castlemaid, I love your post. Made me laugh really hard. Just proves if you show them, they are awesome with cats. My cat is not my cat, she's Zebs.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Welcome from the Pearland area!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
welcome to the forums!!! :welcome:

·
Registered
96 Posts
My girl is still kind of young. So while the cat tries to sleep with her, it's a little tough since she wants to play so much. However, when she is in her crate or playpen, the cat can quite often been seen wandering near by. A lot of it depends on the cat in those situations.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome, we are in League City/Kemah!!!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
ah, a convert to gsd's. you just wait, there's no going back. sounds like you're doing your research, welcome to the board, lots of knowledge and experience here.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Welcome to the board! :)

I work my pup in schH as well and as you can see below.. no issues with the cats at home. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Disappeared for a bit, but I'm back. :) I talked with MelloDee of Germelhaus Kennels yesterday (she's awesome!), and I sent a deposit in. Very excited! Zime and Eli are having a litter mid April, so it looks like I'll be a GSD-mamma this June! :happyboogie:

Let me root around, and I'll post of my lil Turkish Delight.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What a gorgeous kitty!

One way or another we have to work out the face that cats aren't chew-toys. We're a little nervous about this!
MY cat bosses the dogs around. She's merciless! My GSD: "Mommy, dat KAT won't let me get on da bed! She schwatted me on da schnozzle, too!" (She's the first to defend "her" cat, though, when the other dog chases or yells at the cat.) Granted, she's just a BYB-lines model, but.... ;)

--to listen to my angsty, existential whining with all due seriousness

--to hang out with on the couch watching movies on rainy days
Your GSD will likely do a little angsty, existential whining of his own. Mine does, anyway! ;) Mostly she talks about the world coming to an end because her brother stole her bestest ball & dropped it through the fence, or why do dogs have to sit in the back seat & never get a chance to drive & she's sure she could drive a car if only someone would let her give it a try, and it's not fair that dogs have to take baths & cats don't, because sometimes cats really STINK, and about that froofy shampoo.... well, snickerdoodles ain't what dogs is supposed to schmell like, and somebody might try to eat her by mistake if she schmells like that....

As for watching movies or TV.... Mine loves to watch, with or without me. One night I woke up to hear people talking in my living room. I live alone, so this seemed a bit odd. Went to investigate & found my GSD lounging on the couch, intently watching Andy Griffith on my laptop! Somehow she managed to turn the laptop on & get to a site with episodes on it. :confused: (Yes, I hid my credit cards after that, just in case she ever decides to do a little online shopping when I'm not home.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Howdy, I hail from the Houston area myself, I live about an hour south of there. Good luck in your search!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts