German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, our GSD is a year old, and he still hasn’t caught on to housetraining. We crate-trained him as a puppy, which worked great with our previous dog, and I would take him out after eating, take him to a spot I picked and say “bathroom!” and, of course, he just lunged at my ankles. I would wait 15 or 20 minutes and then give up and go inside, and he’d pee on the floor the second we got inside. I did get him to pee outside a couple of times, praised him, pet him, gave him treats, had a party. He enjoyed that, but immediately peed in the house again. And, I have never, ever, seen him poop. If I leave him in the yard long enough, he will go when I’m not looking, or he goes in the house. I know some dogs are shy about their bathroom habits, and maybe that’s him, but I need him to tell me when he needs to go, and then go outside when I let him out! For a while, I was keeping him in a leash with me all the time, but that was when he still chewed on my feet all the time, (see previous post), and nothing deterred him, so I had to put him outside or in the crate and just take him out periodically to try again, and...nothing until we come back inside, then he pees on the floor right next to me. I have spent enough on Nature’s Miracle that I should own the company by now.

Tips/tricks? As I stated in the previous post, I have been slacking off on training and keeping him outside a lot lately because of family issues, but I’m trying to get back in the groove. I really want an inside family member dog.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I suggest you get an experienced german shepherd trainer. One who'll come to your place, teach you to handle your dog, and give you feedback on your handling. If you list your location, forum members may be able to recommend trainer/s in your area.

·
Banned
27 Posts
And I thought the stair biting was a problem! Back to square 1, train him like you would an 8 week old. Crated when not supervised directly, and if you take him out and he doesn’t go, straight back into the crate. If he does go, high praise and a high value treat or toy. Make it a party.

But I agree with the above comment as well. With all the separate issues you are having, a trainer is a must. Depending on your area, you can find a good trainer from anywhere from $50-$150 an hour, and it’s worth every cent.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
If he’s not house trained, he needs to be watched at all times or crated. Timing is key since you have to catch him in the act to teach him it’s not okay. After you catch him and stop him, take him straight outside until he goes. Keeping a consistent schedule helps a lot. Dogs his age usually take a week at most to learn.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I started with a 10 month old foster that lived outside on a chain, and he had the potty training down by day 2. I caught him once in the act of both, told him no, and took him straight outside. It probably helps that I have 3 other potty trained dogs, so he could “follow the leader.”

But I would recommend the crate idea. Treat him like a pup in this scenario. Straight from crate to outside, if he doesn’t do, straight back into his crate. He will eventually catch on that going outside gives him some free roam inside (only under close supervision).

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
There are no shortcuts, and there is no way around putting in the work if you want a dog that will not mess inside. Either do it when they are eight weeks old, or you will have to do it later, and it is a LOT of work.
Your dog now doesn’t know where it’s ok to go and where it’s not ok to go, because of being put outside.
An 8 week old goes out after eating, after naps, after playtime, after drinking water, and on an average of once an hour, even more often. Trainer stays with the dog until he goes, no matter how long it takes. It’s not fun, it is frustrating, but that is what it takes.
Mark the behavior, say pee when he pees, say poop when he poops, so he can learn what it means.
Play hard, then immediately go outside, because he will need to pee and that is where it needs to be done.

Now... your dog is much older, and doesn’t understand that indoors is a no-no when it comes to bathroom.
If you want an inside family dog, bring the dog inside and treat him like an 8-week-old. No putting him outside, as he won’t learn not to go inside if he is not in the house.
You are going to have to stick with it, as it is very difficult to untrain what has been trained.

Leash or tether at all times, so you can stop the behavior as soon as he attempts it.
Absolutely zero house freedom, as they tend to sneak off and go and then if you don’t see it you can’t correct it.
There are lots of tips on housebreaking on this forum, hopefully some of them will work for you, good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts