German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Macy is a now almost one year old rescue that I’ve had for 8 weeks now .... she’s doing great in so many ways but for some reason she sneaks down to the basement and poops .... shes very quick and quiet about it! After we first discovered it we kept the basement door which is right off the kitchen, closed for a few weeks and I really thought we had resolved this but this morning I see she has pooped down there again ..... she is very private about her bathroom duties and has never been able to pee or poop on a leash .... she will now pee in front of me ( not on leash) but never poops in front of anyone .... we literally go out in the yard and count them to make sure she’s going lol! Stools are firm and plentiful and no stomach issues .... I don’t know what her background about elimating is, but does anyone have any advice - short of keeping the door closed for the next 10 years? It is a finished basement with family room and bedroom, bathroom etc and we are up and down there frequently.

·
Super Moderator
6,100 Posts
My guess is that in her former life she was harshly corrected for potty accidents so in her mind it's not in her best interest to relieve herself in view of a human.She's actually doing as she was trained in the past - bodily functions must be accomplished privately!Keep the door shut for the time being and offer low key praise and even a treat when she relieves herself outside.It will take as long as it takes.
I had a rescue dog a few years ago that was the same.It took months before he could go in my presence.And no eye contact ever,lol:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is encouraging thank you! I do praise her when she’s peeing outside - with her back to me of course lol. I’ve never corrected her for it bc I don’t find it until later ..... she goes to the farthest room down there so it’s a little more effort to check it... and I’m truly amazed at how silent and swift she is doing it ..... she is literally not out of my sight in the house for more than a few moments lol.
I just put a gate up in front of that particular bedroom - if I keep the door shut it starts to smell basement-y

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
IME, most dogs like their privacy.

Eliminating is an involuntary action. They don't go outside and do their business just because they were let out to do so. Sometimes it takes them a while to feel the urge to go. Are you giving her enough time? Can you secure her outside and give her at least 20-30 minutes alone to answer nature's call? Do you have a quiet place to do so? Exercise can bring on the urge, perhaps if you took her for a walk?

You might want to try letting her out, giving her some time and then bringing her in and crating her for a half hour and then letting her out again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I agree they cannot really poop on command - my last guy could pee on command, but this girl is much more sensitive ....I’m going to put her out for 30 minutes after eating no matter what .... it’s difficult to tell if she’s gone after dinner as it’s dark and it would take a lot of looking lol..... keeping the door shut again should prevent it .... so far she Doesnt give any signals to be let out so I’m always trying to be aware ..... I’m also wondering if spending some time in the room she poops in would help her recognize it as a living space like the rest of the house?

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I’m also wondering if spending some time in the room she poops in would help her recognize it as a living space like the rest of the house?
Tht is a really good idea. Also feed her on the accident spots or sprinkle some treats there. I would not make it a big deal when she poops outside as it can put too much emphasis on the issue. I think in her case it helps when things remain calm. Just mark it with "Go Potty" (or some command you prefer)in a normal voice when she does it. It is about creating a new habit. In the meantime restrict her freedom by keeping her with you on leash or crated when you can't leash her. It is back to puppy 101. Good exercise also keep her gut active. She will have to poop at some point. Good luck with her. She is lucky you took her.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
A few years back they sold motion activated plastic animals that made a noise when the light beam was tripped. If you can find one of those, it could tell you when she goes down to the basement (or maybe startle her away from it). Another alternative is to put the gate at the top of the stairs (and also to get some of those absorbent packets to get rid of the "basement" smell). Or some other devise that would altert the humans when the dog goes down to the basement.

I wonder if installing a dog door to the outdoors would help since she is reluctant to announce her needs.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I would put up a gate also because this is becoming a habit. They have a lot of nice gates. As she gets more comfortable she will be better going around you. I would also crate to sometimes you do have backtrack to more restrictions when they are learning. She is new and learning the rules of the house now. I find they do like there privacy also. I always turn my head on walks lol!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Whats wrong with this title. "" House trained but loves to poop in the basement "" - help!

I believe she is NOT house trained. When raising a young puppy you never let them out of your site.
Close the basement door..

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If you aren't doing this already, when you clean up the poop in the basement, make certain that you clean it well with an enzyme cleaner, otherwise the scent will still be there. Also it may help (before using the enzyme cleaner) to bring a poop that was already done in the basement out in an area of the yard that offers privacy. The poop from the basement will have odors from the basement that she is already familiar with.

I'm just kind of thinking outside the box and a bit from her perspective with the knowledge of how powerful their sense of smell is and the reactions that are caused (illicited) when their nose is at work. It may help her feel more at ease to go outside.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha yes I agree Malibu that title is a little misleading.....When I got her 8 weeks ago I was assured she was housebroken ..... she does poop outside most if the time but if she can get into that room for even a minute it seems like - it’s all over. I am using an enzymatic cleaner and there’s minimal residue to start out with but I’m sure the scent is still there for her .... I like everyone’s ideas.... putting it outside and also feeding her on that floor. It honestly seems like there’s something that draws her to that place ..... I Fostered a dog a few months ago who also pooped down there so I wonder if that’s what started it? I promise my house is very clean but I wonder what else has happened in that room since the house was built in 1936 lol!

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Haha yes I agree Malibu that title is a little misleading.....When I got her 8 weeks ago I was assured she was housebroken ..... she does poop outside most if the time but if she can get into that room for even a minute it seems like - it’s all over. I am using an enzymatic cleaner and there’s minimal residue to start out with but I’m sure the scent is still there for her .... I like everyone’s ideas.... putting it outside and also feeding her on that floor. It honestly seems like there’s something that draws her to that place ..... I Fostered a dog a few months ago who also pooped down there so I wonder if that’s what started it? I promise my house is very clean but I wonder what else has happened in that room since the house was built in 1936 lol!
Does that floor happen to be concrete? If yes, she could have been kenneled a lot and was imprinted that way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No what’s weird is that it’s the only room that has wall to wall carpet.... rest of the house is hardwood with area rugs ....the laundry room has linoleum and it’s easier to get to than this bedroom lol.
It’s fairly new carpet within the last 5 years and room is only used when family stay over but the foster dog did poop in there .... I don’t know if they are drawn to it bc it’s dark maybe?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just chiming in, so that's the only room with carpet? That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Dogs tend to relieve themselves in soft grounds. That's part of the reason when potty training we train them to pee/poo on the grass or soil.

So you've been cleaning up your dog's mess on carpet?? That's rough...

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
soft surfaces ----- the latest pup took forever to house train. She also found a dog bed and peed on it (in the garage) when the garage door was open and I was standing right there...............

·
Registered
708 Posts
Close off access to the basement. She I s not allowed in there unless supervised, and also make sure to clean the soiled areas with an enzyme remover so she does not feel compelled to continue eliminating in the same area. Perhaps also take her out more often just to be sure?

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
The carpet might look clean after cleaned with enzymes but the scent is still in the pad underneath. When we moved to a new home our dogs started pooping inside the house in one room. Neighbors told us that the previous owners' pets had soiled there. We removed carpet and pad, sealed the wooden base floor with stain killer (paint) and put in a new pad new carpet. Dogs never went back there.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I wonder if installing a dog door to the outdoors would help since she is reluctant to announce her needs.
Installing a dog door, if possible, was one of the solutions I was thinking of also. I also think it would be helpful to put up a gate to keep her out of the basement (if you don't want to close the door). I have this gate across our stairs to keep my toddlers away from the stairs. I like it because it is sturdy, somewhat attractive, and auto-closes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHP8YO0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts