German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male puppy is three months old. I think overall he is doing good. He can last in his crate overnight for 6 hours. He goes out at 4:30 am and does his business. He pees for what seems to be longer than usual so I know he can hold it. No issues with the crate. During the day his schedule is this: After getting up at 4:30, he goes back in for about three hours from 6am to about 9am. I come home (school bus driver) and let him out until I go back at 1:30. Then my husband gets home at 3pm and he’s out until around 10pm. He seems to know to go outside. We can read his cues, he definitely starts pacing when he has to poop. The problem is pee. He will just stop what he’s doing in the house and pee sometimes. No warning. I try to take him out often and he usually always goes when someone takes him out. It’s like he just forgets where he is when he’s inside. Like he gets so wrapped up in playing. And this is while we are watching him. He just does it so fast. Anyone else ever deal with this with a young pup? It’s been 13 years since I had such a young pup. I don’t remember this problem with any of my other young dogs. I’m hoping one day it just clicks. I do use training treats, but honestly sometimes we will forget them rushing him outside. I figure to stress with the family to always take them out and give him a treat when he pees outside, every time. Need to get some consistency with praising him for peeing outside. I guess I answered my own question. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
6,705 Posts
How often do you take him out? I literally take my puppies out every 30-45 minutes. And when they wake up. Or after they drink. When they are playing hard. Basically I’m outside all the time it seems. But they never have a chance to pee in the house, so they never pee in the house. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it’s only for a short time.

· Registered
10,143 Posts
How often do you take him out? I literally take my puppies out every 30-45 minutes. And when they wake up. Or after they drink. When they are playing hard. Basically I’m outside all the time it seems. But they never have a chance to pee in the house, so they never pee in the house. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it’s only for a short time.
I do it pretty much exactly the same, never takes more then a couple of weeks. If I don't have eyes on them actively they are in their crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts