German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have had my GSD puppy for almost 2 weeks, and house training is He**! So it had been 5 years since I have had a puppy, and it was a heeler and super easy to house train. With my Gracie I am having a heck of a time!
She will pee without any warning, even when we are on our way out to pee! I make sure to use a cleaner that gets rid of the smell.
Sometimes I will have her outside with me for an hour, walking, gardening, farm work etc... plenty of time and I give her the cue for potty...still we come in the house and not 10 minutes later I catch her peeing! uggghhhh...help! any tips???? I know its only been 2 weeks, i guess I just need to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel!:crazy:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
From your other posts, it sounds like your puppy is 8 weeks old. A few puppies can be housebroken that soon, but it's not the rule. I had a puppy that took over a year to potty train and another that took 2 days. Boaz, is 9 months old and will still sneak into the basement to poop if I accidentally forget to close the door. (Little bugger!)

Some also has to do with where you got the puppy. Puppy mill and pet shop puppies are the hardest because they are kept in cages and learn to pee inside.

So, be patient. Take the puppy outside every half hour to try to get an idea of her schedule. Taking her for a walk will also get the "juices" moving. Take treats outside with you and whenever the puppy potties have a big happy party and give her treats. If she potties inside, ignore it and get her out as fast as you can.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You might try having her on a leash when you take her out to potty, bring her to the same spot every time, give her the command you use. Mine ended up being 'hurry up!' and it still works. Just stand there and encourage her, give her lots of praise when she does go and she'll catch on to what she's supposed to be doing. Uschi never had accidents but Stosh did the same thing yours is doing, just standing there and peeing without any warning, but he soon caught on, we got to know his schedule and he figured out that peeing was an outdoor activity, just like fetch or going for a walk. The leash really helped with that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My puppy's nickname was "Puddles" for about 1 mo.; had to take him out sometimes 10 mins. after the last time and sometimes we still had accidents. He was potty trained completely at about 3 1/2- 4 mos.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I agree with the leash. Take her out with the leash on and give her the command you use....soon as she goes lots of praise and treats, then I would let her off leash to play for a bit and then again before coming inside I would put the leash back on and do the same thing...over and over and over and over....LOL

·
Registered
418 Posts
Often young pups are so exited about going out they forget about peeing. I had to learn that my guy needed more time and less fun other things (like my other dogs) before he got the idea. Big treats and big party outside and she will get the msg soon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got her from a good breeder, I don't condone buying dogs from pet shops/puppy mills etc.. She will be 9 weeks on saturday :) And yay! I am so glad that I am not the stupid dog owner right now! I feel like an idiot sometimes LOL. I will start doing the leash every time and making sure all our distractions are put away so she can focus on pottying then after that playing. Thank you everyone so much! It's good to know i am not doing this completely wrong!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
My dogs aren't completely housebroken even by 12 weeks (not at all), so you have to remember even if you've had her for 2 weeks that doesn't mean she's not a baby.

Are you crate training? Even if you just use it a night (beside your bed) it's a HUGE help cause they start learning to 'hold' it. If they do have an accident the crate is easy to clean. Also easy to scoop them up out of the crate in the am to carry them outside so they DO pee outdoors and get the praise and understanding from that praise.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/puppy-crate-training.html

http://www.puppycratetraining.org/

http://dogtrainingplace.net/

·
Super Moderator
32,748 Posts
You've only had her for two weeks and she is just 9 weeks old and ? Of COURSE she's not housebroken yet! She's still a baby with a tiny little bladder and very little control. It can take weeks or even months for her to understand where she is and is not supposed to "go". You've gotten some great suggestions of what to do in addition to what you're already doing - now you just need to be patient and persistent.

Halo took the longest of all our dogs to be housebroken. Strange, since she's a smart little bugger and learned everything ELSE in record time. :hammer: She was 10 weeks old when we got her and it took about 3 months before she stopped peeing in the house, even though I took her out frequently, saturated the spots with an enzyme cleaner, and confined her when I couldn't watch her. Her nickname was "little miss pee pants"! :rofl:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone so much!!! These are some awesome tips! I am crate training her, she has learned to hold it through the night from 9PM till 5 AM. So very proud of her on that one. I just felt like I was doing something wrong with her....pretty much felt like an idiot. I have had under 2 weeks actually, now that I looked at my calendar LOL, its only been a week. Thank you for the encouragement!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Holding it from 9pm to 5 am is a REALLY long time for a puppy. You may want to get up around 1 and let her go out.

Jax turned 10 weeks on sunday and can hold up to 6 hours. Of course before I crate that time I regulate water and food. In the house he stays on his leash 24/7. The leash is either attached to my foot if I am on the sofa or the leg of the sofa.

It took a week and a half but he now goes into one spot to use the bathroom. He knows we only go in the backyard to potty and then after that we may play around a bit. I use the leash on him all the time to take him to go potty. Now in the house he whines and looks at the back patio door and I say "Go potty!" and I open the door and he runs to the spot. Sometimes if I don't use th leash he will try and poop in another part of the yard but as soon as I see him setting up to squat I give a loud firm "No!" and just push him in he direction of his potty place in the yard and he runs and goes there. I tell him good boy and praise him and he heads to the patio door when he is done and wants to come in.

I say keep her on the leash 24/7 when in the house with you and if you can't then crate her. Take her out to the bathroom more frequently so she knows that is where she is suppose to go. If you catch her in he act, immeditely pick her up and take her to your spot and have her finish. Make sure to use a firm No when you catch her and then give her a treat and praise her like crazy when she finishes outside.

With the leash on the dog and on you, you start to watch them more often and notice things and you know 10 minutes after they eat or drink they need to relieve themselves.

I cut off water for mine at 8pm. I put Jax in his crate around 10 (another potty break ) then Im off to bed. At 1am i take him to use the bathroom and recrate. In the morning I fix his food and water and take him out to potty (7am) and recrate. Fix food and water and let him out to eat. Watch him eat and drink then recrate. I get ready for work and before I head out, I do another potty break and recrate.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Oh, and most importantly, mistakes are good b/c it gives you the chance to correct them and to let them know that this isn't the place but rather outside.

Also reminds you to watch them and rememeber when they last ate or drank. Water is only given at meals and when I know I can watch him and let him out 10-15 minutes later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I too would like to comment on the holding it in from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM. That is way too long for a puppy (10 weeks). With a small bladder, it might do long term damage. Holding it in for too long for a small bladder will cause the bladder walls to expand..leading to weaker bladder muscles. Weakened bladder muscles will not be able to exert the full pressure to empty the bladder completely as the dog grows older leading to bladder leakage. Google this up and try to phase in the holding-in for the full night over a longer period of time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have take her out right before bed between 9 and 10, then usually her and I get up for a midnite potty run for both of us, then we are up at 5. Sorry I didn't make that clearer when I was typing that up, was being a bit distracted by the little land shark in question :) I have taken the leash advice, she's attached to me pretty much at all times, including potty time. and for the past 2 days only 1 accident per day in the house! YAY! and they were my fault, for not getting her out right away. thank you everyone for all the great advice!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had Karma housebroken at about 11 weeks or so. I also used the "get busy" command when I wanted her to go before going to bef and then STOPPED saying it when she started peeing and then gave praise. She will now pee on the command GET BUSY. I never used a leash but would actually carry her out in the dark of night when she was little just to stop her peeing under the dining room table in the dark which she did a couple of times LOL. Now at 18 weeks or so she can hold it all night and at about 6.30am on the dot I get a wet nose nudging my foot or a paw scraping at the door.They learn real quick but the initial stages are messy as **** HAHAHAHHAHAHHA

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta will be 6 months old next week and we still have accidents. She's doing sooooo much better but still has an issue every now and then. its okay. it happens. you'll get there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts