German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our GS at 7 weeks, and right off the bat she was great (for a puppy) about using the bathroom in the house. Everytime we would take her out she would squat to pee even if she barely had to go. She had pretty few accidents in the house.

Fast forwards 5 weeks and she does ALL the time! I don't know what the deal is, I have house trained a lab puppy before and it only took me a few weeks to get her to where she only went if we waited too long to let her out. We will let her out to go pee and if I go out with her she will just want to play and if I don't go out with her she will just jump at the door wanting back in. The problem is as soon as I let her back in she will pee within a few minutes of walking in the door. I feel like she goes all the time also, its like I will turn my back and she will pee again somewhere else. The same goes for pooping all over the house.

My wife is nowhere near as tolerant as I am and is demanding we keep her outside because we can't keep her from going to the bathroom in the house. I pop her when I catch her going to the bathroom and say no and rush her out the door and try to let her out all the time. She will be out for an hour and come back in to pee.

We had people over the other day for the super bowl and I let her out of her kennel, let her outside to pee then brought her back in, and she got so excited and ran up to them and peed everywhere when she ran up to them. I think that was just puppy excitement though haha.

On the plus side, my son is 1 and she and he have become best buddies. He can't say a ton yet of course, but he sure tries to say her name. Anytime he can't find her he will run around the house trying to open all the doors and yelling her name. She used to bite at him a lot, but she is SOOO much better about that with him now. I know that is part of just being a puppy though, although she still will chomp down on my hand every once in awhile.

ANYWAYS, sorry for the excessive rant on my story. I am just looking for some input. I am also trying to teach her the basic commands, but haven't been very successful. (My lab learned them easy at a young age!!!! Help!?!)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I stand in the chosen spot 1 hour after meals and when she asks for the door. No pee-crating when we get back in. After 30 minutes, I take her back out to appointed spot. Almost always, she'll pee.

Take favorite treats with you...always. She does her thing, teat and give high praise.

Keep play times separate....and make sure they are by YOUR invitation only.

^^^^<---- *clink clink. My two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would restrict her freedom in the house until she's completely trained, and be consistent in training. I suggest visiting this site- dog.problems.com There is so much useful information that you are sure to find your answers. No offense meant by this but, it sounds like you need trained first. :) Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, well we are still working on house training, BUT I have got her doing a MUCH better job of sitting on command. I have been taking her outside late everynight after my wife and son go to bed and been playing with her and making her sit every minute or so while we play. It seems to be working really well. I can't get her to do it when other people are around though yet really. She gets distracted and wants to see what they are up to. So I am just going to keep reinforcing the command, and working on teaching her to always come when called. Other than that she is doing well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My wife is nowhere near as tolerant as I am and is demanding we keep her outside because we can't keep her from going to the bathroom in the house. I pop her when I catch her going to the bathroom and say no and rush her out the door and try to let her out all the time. She will be out for an hour and come back in ...
Your wife is not as tolerant as you, yet you're the one doing the dog 'popping'? Please.....a sharp 'NO', then a quick trip out the door saying 'outside' is sufficient. Bells hanging on the door can be helpful for the silent types.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't play with her/let her play outside until she has been to the toilet. If she doesn't go to the toilet bring her straight back in and put her in her crate, take her out after twenty mins and ask her to go again. When she does go reward her with treats and lots of praise. It sounds like you're giving her too much freedom in the house.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You need to be out there with her, not letting her out while you do other things.

This dog is a commitment and that means standing outside in the pouring rain, the freezing cold, and pitch black nights while she does her business.

You need to be there to make sure she knows it's time to do her business and not chasing leaves, eating dirt, and watching birds and chasing squirrels.

She's just a puppy. She doesn't know you want her to pee or poop unless you teach her that that is what you want when you go outside.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree on the door bell - was not a believer at first, but now I am - it works. I got my 2 inch one at the local CoOp. It hangs on the door know about 6 inches off the floor - Emma's head height.

With Emma she would not verbalize, just go to the door and sit. If we paid attention, no accidents, but we still had accidents. Emma is 12 week now. I too had to learn not to punish (I stuck nose in it), I say a sharp "NO" then whisk outside to the spot. If she went again I gave a lot of praise and a treat.

I am also learning Emma's potty habits, such as how soon she goes after eating or drinking, or waking up from naps, or after every 2 to 3 hours play in the house and seeing her sniffing around.

Now I can let her out and stand at the door and watch. If she does her business I open the door (It's 4 degrees outside) say "Good Girl" and love her up when she comes in and sometimes give a toy or treat. Seems to be working.

Lots of smart folks here on this.

On edit - if she is peeing a lot and often, she may have a bladder infection - might be worth checking out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts