German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 month old pup sheds like a son of a gun...and hey what GSD doesn't. Looking for products that work for your car and home....I've got hair galore that my dustbuster doesnt catch in my car. I've used the vacuum at the local car wash but it didn't pick up that much....my house vacuum is okay but not great. I have a back seat car cover. Any other items that you feel are helpful or products that work to help clean the hair off easily oh and the drool also?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
One tip I can offer is to use a rake type dog brush on your carpet prior to vacuuming. It picks up an amazing amount of hair and really saves on how clogged your vaccum gets!

·
Super Moderator
5,650 Posts
for the car I use a brush to get the big stuff off the seats and a rubber glove to get more of the stubborn stuff. To be 100 percent honest, when i clean the car the goal is to reduce the shed fur and hair. I can never ger rid of al of it. And I use seat covers in the back where my gal-dog rides.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Black car, black seats, black dog. Clean up is easy:D
You forgot dark furniture, dark clothes … dark everything!
I vacuum every other day. I keep the dogs on one level of our home (keeps the hair mostly contained). After a while you just learn to live with it as well - the obligatory dog hair in your eye, on your food, everywhere. “Shedding” the love, I call it. Lol

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
In my little car, Nitro has the rear seat. I have a lightweight painter's canvas drop sheet covering the foot well. I vacuum the seats, then carefully fold the drop sheet, shake it outdoors, wash, dry, then return it to the car. I have a cotton blanket in the boot (trunk) that I cover the back seat with if I'm driving friends. To deep clean my little car, I need 3 hours.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I have him in a crate, which helps a lot with containing the hair. It sits on a rubber mat, under which is this cover, which is slippery and does not hold hair.

Brushing the dog helps a lot, as does a high velocity dryer.

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
77 Posts
1. Shark Navigator vacuum: great power and can go to lift off mode to walk around with it. Works very well for cars and dogs! The "pet" version has tools that is specifically for pet hair. We use it for dirt as well after going out to the mountains.
2. Brush your dog almost everyday. I use a slicker brush for 10-15 minutes a day, 30 minutes once a week. I would buy a grooming rake like everyone said.
3. Go to costco (if you can) and get the big pack of microfiber "towels" for drying cars. They're yellow. There's about 50-75 of them in a pack. I put it everywhere, the car, next to the door etc. Wipe everything down immediately and you're good to go!

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
For the vehicle - shop vac.
For the rugs, a stiff scrub-type broom is what I found worked when I had carpet. I pull the throw rugs up and they only go down when I have out of town guests! Wood floors work pretty well - sweep right up ... and then sweep up again... and again. Carpet sucks anyway. It just holds down dirt that you will find when you pull up the carpet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I usually pack a sticky lint roller and run it over the truck seats after we're out. It's great when there's nowhere to plug in a vacuum too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts