German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you haven't stood outside half dressed in the dark, freezing cold in the middle of the night waiting for what seems like an eternity for your puppy to finally pee instead of wander off sniffing absolutely anything and everything, while avoiding the only thing you want him to do.....you're not doing house breaking properly :p
That is so true... few nights ago .. winter and snow and ice, in flip flops, pj shorts and hoodie standing on my front step with a long line for the last pee break of the night.. I see a police car go by the end of my street, brake and reverse then drive toward my house .. "uh hi, no he's not loose or alone sorry but he has to pee and I'm not really dressed" at least they were going to try and catch the stray :)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
That is so true... few nights ago .. winter and snow and ice, in flip flops, pj shorts and hoodie standing on my front step with a long line for the last pee break of the night.. I see a police car go by the end of my street, brake and reverse then drive toward my house .. "uh hi, no he's not loose or alone sorry but he has to pee and I'm not really dressed" at least they were going to try and catch the stray :)
Canadian fashion statement, bathrobe and skidoo boots at 2am! Lol.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Canadian fashion statement, bathrobe and skidoo boots at 2am! Lol.
When we go up to Oxtongue Lake (outside of Algonquin) in the winters, it can be -30C, if it's the morning, I'm going out with the dogs in a sweatshirt, shorts, and boots.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
When we go up to Oxtongue Lake (outside of Algonquin) in the winters, it can be -30C, if it's the morning, I'm going out with the dogs in a sweatshirt, shorts, and boots.
I've been to Oxtongue Lodge there. Nice area.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do you keep her in a crate?

Immediately after you take her out of her crate, take her outside and wait. The moment she does her business, praise her tons. Do this consistently every single time. You might need to set an alarm for a few days and get up in the middle of the night to make sure she gets enough pee breaks.

Don't scold her when she has an accident because she might be motivated to hide accidents, as she is becoming fearful.

I think it's really tough with a pet store dog but I think you'll be able to get this figured out. She's lucky to have a safe home with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you haven't stood outside half dressed in the dark, freezing cold in the middle of the night waiting for what seems like an eternity for your puppy to finally pee instead of wander off sniffing absolutely anything and everything, while avoiding the only thing you want him to do.....you're not doing house breaking properly :p
OH MY WORD this is SO true!! I thought i was the only one going thru this...i LOL'd reading this. And throw snow in the mix - Lay down, sniff, eat snow, sniff, lay down, chew leash, repeat....then pee
I was very lucky, my girl picked up going potty outside real quick, still has occasional accidents when super tired, playing and always when super excited when she sees the kids! my breeder always had lights out in their area at bedtime, so she's been amazing at bedtime, blows my mind she can go 8-9 hours some nights w no mess in crate, hasn't had one in the 8 weeks i've had her...such a blessing

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
OH MY WORD this is SO true!! I thought i was the only one going thru this...i LOL'd reading this. And throw snow in the mix - Lay down, sniff, eat snow, sniff, lay down, chew leash, repeat....then pee
I was very lucky, my girl picked up going potty outside real quick, still has occasional accidents when super tired, playing and always when super excited when she sees the kids! my breeder always had lights out in their area at bedtime, so she's been amazing at bedtime, blows my mind she can go 8-9 hours some nights w no mess in crate, hasn't had one in the 8 weeks i've had her...such a blessing
Yup my latest pup slept through the night at 10 weeks and only ever had three accidents in the house (all my fault), never in the crate. I took him out once per night for a few weeks but he had a mentor show him it was just pee time and back inside.

The first nights when you first get up to pee yourself in the night and they don't get up to out ....Heaven!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I also select one area of my yard that is for toileting. And per Sabi's rules it's the furthest point from the house, because she was polite. So here's me, in a bathrobe and skidoo boots, tramping through the snow to the corner, carrying a puppy-because I always carry crate to corner for the first week or so, standing in the wind wondering if I am crazy, waiting for puppy to go pee.
Tips from a crazy woman-wear something under the bathrobe because wind goes right on up under, get a short enough robe to not drag in the snow, SHOVEL A PATH and make sure the liners in the boots are straight before you go to bed because it's really hard to fix them with an armful of puppy and flip flops suck in the snow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello everyone!
I'm new here, and new to owning a GSD and training a puppy for living inside, so forgive any ignorance for the duration of this post.
I'm having some major issues house breaking and I need some help from experienced owners.
We kinda stumbled into getting our puppy, a female we named Arya, when my wife and I went into a local pet store on the 22nd of December. Conditions for puppies in pet stores break my heart, and against better judgement we brought home a 15 week old GSD puppy. Now, after nearly 3 weeks, she is still going in the house. She showed alot of progression in the first 2 weeks, with accidents becoming less and less, but now, we still have 2 or 3 accidents a day. There's no warning, no whining, and the only way we know is when its happening is when she squats. It usually happens in a specific spot, and we do our best to scrub the area to remove scent. Here is all the pertinent info about her day I can think of.
-We feed 3 times a day. 7am, 12pm, 6pm
-Water is available all day long due to our older dog who is used to having it. (Our other dog is a 5yr whippet/pit who is house broken and hasnt had an accident in years)
-We take her out at wake up, 20 mins after meals, right before bed, middle of the night, and periodically throughout the day.
-Just this week, I started taking her around the house on the leash on the recommendation of a trainer, but she doesn't always want to go while on leash.
-We have had poop accidents too, though not as many as pee accidents, but the lead up is just as quiet.
-Sometimes she digs in the water bowl.

After 3 weeks of trying, I honestly thought she would be letting us know to take her out, but here we are. Today I removed the water bowl after breakfast in fear that I'm letting her have too much water and that was causing the problem, but now she's looking for it and whining. I need help, and I appreciate anyone who can guide me in this endeavour.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my pup is 7 months and she still goes in her cage at times no matter what I have tried/training or done- I dont like to give her food/water after 4pm. I have found this with the other females I have had but never the males-so is this a female thing that they just go more(LOL like us women). this is my 5th GSD/8th dog in my life time.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts