German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had ace for over two months now. He's probably the smartest dog I have ever owned.
He went through a phase of holding his poo until either I went to bed or had my back turned for less than 5 seconds. He was doing so good for awhile and had not had any accidents. (We are very adamant about making sure he goes out every 30 minutes). Now though he hasn't had an accident on the floor, he has gone poo in his crate. His crate is not big, it is is just the right size although he has almost out grown it. I'm not sure what to do. It's becoming very frustrating. He has also developed this awful habit of yelping if you pick him up for one reason or another. Not to mention the nightly howling when it's bed. Some nights this lasts an hour some times it's non stop. He sleeps in his kennel EVERY night so it's nothing new. Any advice or opinions would be swell. ImageUploadedByPG Free1368967478.029637.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1368967491.217643.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Has he had a Vet check for worms or has he been treated recently?

Worms will really mess with your potty training if allowed to continue.

Some puppies do start off well with potty training but regress as they get a little older. If everything is OK with your puppy, you will have to start regulating his food and water with better timing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has an appointment next week so I will discuss it with my vet when we go. He tested negative for worms at his last. He and his wiener dog brother get fed at 9 am and 4 pm. If you think I need to change his feeding schedule PLEASE tell me. I am so tired of picking up poo out of his kennel every morning! Like I said I am open to all advice and suggestions and opinions!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Well, you'll need to see how fast the food runs through him to know when to have his last feeding for the day.

If his last feeding is at 4pm and he doesn't go until the overnight hours that's some holding!

Are you taking him to the same spot everytime and telling him "go potty!"? No playing, or chasing around.

If he's holding it that long you may have to adjust his last feeding forward closer to bedtime. That way he'll hopefully have to go upon getting up instead of overnight.

It really sounds like he might be a little wormy if he yelps when you pick him up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes he and Tyson go at separate times. Ace goes first then once he does his business Tyson comes out. And I will definitely adjust his feeding schedule for later of the evening and see if that helps. I didn't know a dog being wormy could cause yelping like he's being absolutely abused! I will add that as something I definitely will mention to My vet! I feel like such a bad owner! =[

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Clean it with either a natural enzyme based cleaner formulated for this person or white vinegar and water (mix it in a spray bottle). Soap and water will not take away the scent and therefore he thinks it's the right place to go.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You can probably also get away with using Odoban to clean out his crate. That's what I've been using (it's less expensive) and my pup stopped having accidents in his crate. You may even have to revert back to taking him out every couple of hours in the middle of the night to help cement that going potty in the crate is not correct.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
going out every 30 minutes is good. are you walking him or letting
him in the yard? before going to bed a walk could help. start letting
him out overnight. you said" his crate is not big it's just the right
size although he's almost outgrown it". it can't be both, just right
and almost outgrown it.

if my dog was barking, yelping at night i would start crate
training again. throughout the day i use to crate my pup
for 5 minutes. sometimes i would stay in the room where he was
and sometimes i would leave the room eventually reaching the point
where i could leave the house. 5 minutes of crate time became 20 minutes
of crate time, 20 minutes of crate time became 30 minutes of crate
time and so on. everytime i crated my pup i would say "go to your crate".
when i approached him to place him in his crate i would say "go to your crate".
when we reached his crate i placed him on the floor in frontof the crate door
and as i ushered him in his crate i said "go to your crate". eventually he learned
"go to your crate". once he learned go to your crate i could say "go to your crate"
from any room in the house and he would go to his crate.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am quite sure that white vinegar is the cheapest way to go.

Isn't Odaban full of chemicals? I would do a lot of research before using something like that in any animal's living environment, much less a puppy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: accident for 4 days knock on wood, he has also cut out on the howling. He just whines a little, I moved his kennel where he can see my bed and he's doing much much better. We have also been going out every couple of hours through out the night. And yes we do go on nightly walks. I also changed his feeding schedule and now things are a lot smoother! Thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts