German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I lurk a lot :p

I have a puppy who's about 4 months now.
She used to be pretty good with going outside into the hallway outside our place to pee and poop, but due to some bad housing situations and complications with our landlord which I don't want to get into, she has gotten a bit used to going in her crate. I can tell that she still hates poop getting on her feet and fur, she screams and tries to avoid it, but she has no problem peeing in the crate.

So my two main questions are,
1. How can I retrain her to go "outside?" She still whines when she needs to go, and seems to still understand the "go potty" command.
Aside from keeping her crate clean, would keeping a blanket in there help? That way she learns if she pees it gets on her as well, instead of just going through the bars?

2. How do I slowly train her to take the elevator down 30 floors to pee, in the long run?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions as or right now, but curiosity is getting the better of me so I do have a question. Where exactly where you training your dog to go before? A public hallway for the residents of the building you live in?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the public hallway for the floor I'm living on, where the elevators are. The floors are concrete, and I pick and clean up her messes right after she goes.

I tried taking her down the elevators, but it's such a long wait that she doesn't know why she's down there by the time we get there.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Why not train her to use a certain area in the house? If you're picking it up immediately I don't see much harm in that. If I lived in the building with you I definitely wouldn't want someone letting their dog use the restroom in the hallway I have to use...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
A concrete floor might be easier to clean and desinfect as hardwood floor or carpet. If I was him, I would have made the same decision to take the dog outside in the hallway instead of having the apartment destroyed by a puppy.

What you can try though is puppy pads, or for a while, get those indoor lawns. Not sure how they are called but I know that Petco carried them for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mrs. K

That sounds like a good idea for now

I can't train her to use another part of the house, only one room is technically mine. I have 2 other roomates who occupy the other rooms.

The funny things is, I was the one who started taking her into the hallway, and the landlord didn't want me to take her outside, and rather that I let the dog relieve herself in the crate. And then he started complaining about the smell. How silly. :p

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Personally, I would pick up the dog while waiting for the elevator. That way they CAN'T go until you put them down outside.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
When Jazz was a pup he wouldn't pee as long as I picked him up and held him. I guess it depends on the pup. I take it Mrs. K has been peed on :).

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
When Jazz was a pup he wouldn't pee as long as I picked him up and held him. I guess it depends on the pup. I take it Mrs. K has been peed on :).
Yes, I have.
It was hard enough to get a puppy down from the third floor. Because once they have to go, they just have to go. I can't possibly imagine having to wait for the elevator on the 30st floor and than get all the way down, out the Gallery onto the Street.

Just not going to happen. I never really made it down the stairs. However, a 4 month old pup should be able to be on a regular Schedule. It's easier when you can just open the door but if your Roommates would be willing to work with you, you should be able to housebreak the pup. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Do not wait until the pup has to go. You take the pup out regularly so the pup learns to go when you take it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts