German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take my GSD to the vet yesterday to have the side of his neck shaved and cleaned because he had a hotspot under his ear that he had scratched to the point it was oozing and matted. They are on each side but the worst one was on the left. I had to bath him Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. The first two days were because he had gotten filthy and couldn't come back inside. I used some green Hartz flea and tick shampoo the first time and the next was another flea and tick shampoo but seemed to be a better brand. Neither of them were great but I didn't have a choice in the matter both times. The last bath was with an oatmeal shampoo I bought at target because he was stinking this time from the hotspot. I had tried Benadryl and hydrocortisone spray up until yesterday. The lady I spoke to at the vet's office told me I could trim the hair back and apply Betadine. Well once I first touched him with the scissors he wouldn't let me come near him and became aggressive. He was obviously in a lot of pain so I decided to take him in. They also gave him a steroid while he was there and prescribed Cephalexin 500mg twice daily. I figured that he would be feeling better after getting it cleaned up but he still hasn't perked up. Could he be in that much pain still? He seems very lethargic and occasionally walks around looking somewhat confused. This dog is usually always on the move and quick to come at the newest thing in the room but he will barely get up when someone comes in the door. He's all the time shaking his head like they do when they're wet kinda like it's a twitch. I've noticed bumps inside and around his ear which lead me to believe he may have an ear infection or something. I would have asked the vet these questions but he didn't spend much time talking before he took him back and wasn't there when I picked him up. I don't quite know what else I can do for him.

Also, any recommendations for good shampoo that won't break him out? He's all the time out with me on the land I hunt and comes out covered in mud every time.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
1. If he's a hunting dog, are you in an area with flesh-eating bacteria in the water? (E.g., South Louisiana, South Texas, etc.)

2. Did they do a skin scrape? Staph is always a worry with this stuff. It's easy to see on a microscope slide --that's a cheap test they can do in the office.

3. With lethargy, did they check for tick disease? (again, that's a quick test they can run in the office)

The smell could be infection. Betadine is kind of a painful way to deal with that. Infection is often secondary to allergies -- they go hand in hand, so it's very common for allergy dogs to end up with staph infections.

I would bathe him with chlorhexadine 4% shampoo (NOT ON THE HEAD -- KEEP OUT OF THE EYES!!!). Follow bottle directions exactly (leave on 5-10 min.) It's anti-microbial, and gives a lot of relief in these situations by knocking down the bad microbes while the skin heals. I'd bathe at least weekly (or even 2x weekly), and spray with Vetericyn spray (also on Amazon) in between baths. You can get it from vet clinics, or more cheaply on Amazon, or sometimes at pet supplies (but I've never seen it at petco/petsmart).

If you have access to a feed store, there's an ointment called Nu-Stock (sulfur) that might help.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Concerning the confusion and lethargy, I would wonder about the use of two flea and tic shampoos within a three day span. Especially if you also give a monthly flee and tic application.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Kentucky so no flesh eating diseases that I’m aware of. They didn’t do anything other than sedate him, shave the side of his neck, and clean it to my knowledge. So no skin scrape or check for tick-related illness. He was out with me all evening and seemed to be as wild as he is normally but ended up cutting his paw in the field and I sent him home with my girlfriend. He’s also been trying to rub his neck on everything he could find today. This dog has just been acting weird and I can’t quite figure out why

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Concerning the confusion and lethargy, I would wonder about the use of two flea and tic shampoos within a three day span. Especially if you also give a monthly flee and tic application.
this ---- and on an open sore . These are neurotoxins. Posison.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/hartz.html?page=7

And not only not on open sore or broken skin , there are warnings against
using it on pups under a certain age . (because skin is able to absorb more)

I do know of someone who brought home a pup , wanted to do the best for him,
give him a bath when he came home. 2 hours later the pup was uncordinated,
then seizured , and died on the way to the vets.

Defendex shampoo would have been a much better , safer choice.

Vetericyn is a good choice -- does not sting , has antispetic properties , helps heal skin .

Matted hair prevent skin from breathing so you have dark, warm, moist - all conditions ideal fro infections .

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I live in Kentucky so no flesh eating diseases that I’m aware of. They didn’t do anything other than sedate him, shave the side of his neck, and clean it to my knowledge. So no skin scrape or check for tick-related illness. He was out with me all evening and seemed to be as wild as he is normally but ended up cutting his paw in the field and I sent him home with my girlfriend. He’s also been trying to rub his neck on everything he could find today. This dog has just been acting weird and I can’t quite figure out why
yes there are "flesh-eating" microbes in standing water . If the dog has a depressed immune system he is more vulnerable.

A robust healthy dog may be resistant.

Pythiosis .

Sounds like your dog is in a toxic state. No drugs . You need to get a better vet .

Holistic vets available? Find one - mention the shampoos - and two brands which might
have ingredients not compatible with each other - and mention a liver detox .

won't harm --

adding -- hot spots do not cause lethargy -- the products you used did (alledgedly)
http://www.hartzvictims.org/ https://www.thedodo.com/people-say-product-kills-1473764463.html

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Just re-read what the vet sent you home with -- I would not stop the Cephalexin and steroid that was prescribed without vet supervision. Prednisone pills (steroid) needs to be stepped down gradually to avoid blowing out the adrenal glands (you can't stop these cold-turkey!), and Cephalexin (antibiotic) probably needs to be finished once started to avoid creating ever more antibiotic-resistant microbes. It can cause tummy upset (lack of appetite and diarrhea), esp. at the upper end of the dosing range.

The fact that Ceph was prescribed tells me the vet thinks there's an infection, but what? I would call and ask, since you didn't get a chance to talk with the vet much. Let him know what's going on. Maybe run some bloodwork.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Agree 100% with carmspack!

Below are some Holistic Vets in KY.
If you choose to go, make sure that you ask for the vet who is versed in Homeopathy or Homeotoxicology. Sometimes the names listed, are the owners of the clinics and not the actual holistic vet. Some conventional clinics are "claiming" they are "holistic" by employing a Chiropractor or Acupuncturist ect.

Brown, Leslie
DVM
Louisville Integrative Veterinary Services
915 Baxter Avenue
Louisville
502-454-3838
KY
United States of America
www.lovelivs.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CHI), Chinese Herbs (Chi), Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy

Medler, Paula
DVM
Animal Healing and Wellness Clinic
4727 N 1st Ave
Tucson
520-975-7281
AZ
United States
animalhealingandwellnessclinic.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (IVAS), Applied Kinesiology, Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (IVAS), Chiropractic (AVCA), Chiropractic (HOWC), Conventional Medicine, Homotoxicology, Laser Therapy, Nutrition, Other (fill in below), Ozone Therapy, Rehabilitation Therapy

St. Germain, Sabra
DVM , CVA
Avatar Holistic Veterinary Services
Mobile Practice
Lebanon
502-939-9062
KY
United States

www.allpaws.us
AVIAN, EQUINE, EXOTIC, FELINE, HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Applied Kinesiology, Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (IVAS), Chiropractic, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Craniosacral Therapy, Electromagnetic Therapy (EAV, Interro, Biotron II, etc.), Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Homotoxicology, Laser Therapy, Magnetic Therapy, Nutrition, Ozone Therapy, Prolotherapy, Pulsating Magnetic Therapy, Rehabilitation Therapy, Reiki, Western Herbs

Weber, Kirk
DVM
2018 Harris Pike
Independence
859-356-2145
KY
United States

SMALL ANIMAL
Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Homotoxicology, Nutrition, Western Herbs

Good luck!
Moms :)

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I'm in Indiana and wanted to mention that the Vetericyn that Magwart talked about is also usually available in farm supply stores like Tractor Supply and Rural King, if you have those in your area. It is good stuff to have on hand and usually dogs do not object to having it on them.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
When I works in the vets office many years ago we saw numerous numerous cases of severe skin reactions to Hartz pet products making the animals sick. The knock off topical advantage/ frontline products the biggest culprits. Any flea and tick medication sold in a grocery store stay far it will cost you much more money in the long run. It’s hard to believe hartz is still in business.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I’d never seen hot spots on any of my former dogs.

But when Finn was just about a year old he became lethargic and I noticed a sore down by his tail and his chest felt damp and his skin was red he also had something similar going on behind his thigh.
I rushed him to the vet and she said he had hot spots. I had to leave him there for a few hours. They sedated him, then shaved the affected areas. I was shocked when I saw what was underneath his hair. It looked raw and so sore.
He was put on an anti biotic and a topical powder.

I think As far as the lethargy that Finn presented was probably due to infection.
And just the overall feeling of being sick.

The lethargy is what really scared me, then seeing the seriousness of the hot spots...
I was vigilant with the routine of meds and powder. It took a long time for his skin and coat to return to normal.

Finn will occasionally get a hot spot. But I know now that they can turn into something really nasty.
He just had one on his paw that resisted the powder. It started to swell. Again he started acting different, very whiney and agitated. And I thought he had an ear infection too.
The vet scraped the sore. Did a complete blood panel. Gave him an Antibiotic.
Blood panel was normal. And no ear infection.

Good luck. Hope all goes well with your pup.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Findlay "I think As far as the lethargy that Finn presented was probably due to infection.
And just the overall feeling of being sick. "

feeling sick is being sick - lethargy is because the body is making an effort , throwing everything that it
has to do a repair

for your Finn you have taken care of the symptom - suppressed the appearance but what ever chaos there is in the immune system you still have it - evidenced by your recent re-occurance of a swollen paw.

they are painful and maystressful to the dog , and to you .

the skin indicates an underlying problem which could be bug bite reactions, food sensitivity , an immune problem
because if you need to treat and retreat (conventional method) then you have a chronic problem

is the dog an emotional dog -- is he stressed by lack of exercise or outlet for energy .

is the food qualtiy good and meet all needs for vitamins , minerals and essential fatty acids .

does the dog have a fungal (candiasis) overgrowth

probioitics address the brain / gut connection -- immune system , and mood modifying

if the dog stresses easily or is a super-sensitive type , then you may do well with an additonal
adaptogen such as ashwagandha or astragulus.

get to the root of the problem

in the meantime you can give relief by bathing the dog with Defendex and then spraying the sore spots with skin healing antiseptic Veterycin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts