German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dog has been biting at the same spot for about two days now and has I guess developed a hot spot? Its a little irritatated area on his lower back by his tail thats got sticky stuff seeping out. It's not very large no smell and does not seem infected, can't get to the vet till tommorow any suggestions, I've already cleaned it and sprayed some genesis spray on it anything else I could do?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would try to trim the hairs around the spot because that's supposed to let it air out a little so it can heal. I would also put an E Collar on if he continues to bite/lick because that will just make it worse.

Have you checked him for fleas/ticks? He could also have allergies that have caused this. I started giving my dog salmon oil and that seemed to help her coat condition tremendously.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No fleas or ticks im wondering if hes got dry skin or something since he has a few spots he scratches at all the time. Where do you get the salmon oil?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
as long as he doesnt have fleas or ticks (they're tricky little annoyances!) it could be a hot spot or allergies to something else. Unfortunately i'm not a great deal of help on this subject because Riley is allergic to fleas (he'll rip himself to shreds if we'd let him when he does get bit), he's allergic to pollen (spring is not fun for this poor dog) and he's allergic to corn and now we're pretty certain chicken too. He's also prone to hot spots. one thing you could try is giving him a benedryl and see if that takes the edge off his chewing and licking. If it does i would bet on it being allergies. Bear in mind though that benedryl will also probably knock him out. You can give him a store brand one of the same dosage as a 25mg benedryl and it shouldnt have the some knock unconscious effect. But definitely try to clip the area for it to air out. i've seen many people suggest witch hazel on the spot to dry it out and then sprinkling gold bond medicated powder to help dry it out further and heal it. Couldnt hurt to give it a shot. an e-collar (hehe cone of shame!!!) wouldnt be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
PetCo or PetSmart typically have it, or any other pet supplies place really. I like to use one with a pump so you don't have to measure the amount. Start him out on it slowly, because it can give them runs if you give too much too fast.

I would keep any eye on him though - we left our Golden Retriever who had a nickel sized hot spot on his rear, and when we came back a few hours later it was over 3 inches in circumference. That's when we went to the E Collar until it had healed.

Do you think he could possibly have allergies? It could also be caused by some kind of insect bite.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My boy Tucker just had the same issue. We took him to vet and it turned out that he had a cut or scratch that had gotten infected. He had to be put on antibiotics and of course the E collar. Since he is a long coat we did not notice the infection until he would not leave that spot alone.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You can try apple cider vinigar Apple Cider Vinegar for Dogs. I'm in the process of trying it with my Oliver. And he already is scratching less and his hotspots are drying up. And I jus starrted usingit last night and today.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Gold bond powder works well, and there is something else similar to it that comes in gel form but I can't remember the name of it...

Trim the hairs around it (shave them if you have clippers, or buy an inexpensive pair), keep it clean and dry, and keep the dog from licking on it via an e-collar (the cone of shame)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Vectra is an excellent product. It is only available at a vets office but comes with guarantees.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
From everything I've read about apple cider vinigar. It is suposed to repel fleas, ticks, heal hotspots, ear infections and more. :wild: the only problem I've found is my dog now smells like a salad bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.