German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was actually suggested by one of our mods (so not my original idea).
I know we’ve talked about this many times before but it’s always good to have a refresher and we have many new members who can also contribute.

With all the hot weather everyone’s been having lately let’s talk about how we help our dogs cope with the weather and what precautions do we all take? How do you keep your dogs comfortable? Do you do/don't anything different in the hot weather for the dogs? Any special hot weather tips you've picked up and would like to share?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bella has a pool for when she's outside. And I keep her in the AC from 2 to 7 which is the hotest part of the day. She will happily go in her kennel to cool off. I will be getting her a box fan for in front of the kennel when temps reach 102 up.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I usually keep my dogs inside if it's really hot out and if they must be outside, since I don't have a kiddie pool, yet I'll go out and get them soaked with the hose. We also take walks in the early morning or dusk if it's cool outside. And I always carry a portable water container with me. and I never ever leave them in the car even if I'm just going in for a minute.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We just had a 108 day a couple of days back. My boy has a box fan on his kennel and I put frozen water bottles in his water bowl to keep it ice cold.

We dont go out very much after 10AM and before 7PM. During the hottest parts of the day Brutus will go lay in front of the swamp cooler. Hes got the right idea :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I keep Arlo inside. If outside, he's got his own huge water bowl with ice kept in the shade of the garage.

Sometimes I'll spray him down with the hose..altho the girly doesn't like that too much

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
very hot and humid in CT:(( today is supposed to be the hottest..

I have the day off, so I limit outside stuff, AC is cranked up, and we've been doing ALOT of swimming to burn off that excess energy.

My male aussie is black and not a fan of the heat, my female aussie Jynx, while doesn't do much running around in this heat, will actually go and lay on my deck in the hot sun,,(I make her come in!).. Masi, well nothing phases her, she's very dark, but that weasel would run all day in any kind of weather till she dropped dead I'm sure.

So finding things for her to do "inside", limiting outside, and we swim every day in the river:)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sinister is all black so he gets hot fast. If it is over 90 and humid I keep him inside with air conditioning and if I leave him at home while I am at work I have the air on and I put a standing fan in front of his crate to keep him cool. I make sure that he always has water. When we are outside we will go to a friends house and he will play with their dog and their kiddie pool or I hose him down.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
In the hot weather, our exercise is usually swimming at the lake or walking after dark (they like the swimming better). Since they are indoor dogs, they aren't ever left outside for extended time unless we are outside with them. A/C is on 24/7 now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
For exercise I take them swimming, tires them out and cools them off.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
On mega-hot days I used to wet the Hooligans down when we went outdoors. I would get the hose and ask if anyone wanted to get wet and they'd line up in age order (I do everything in age order from feeding them to hugging them and each one knows who they follow). The Hooligans I have now don't like getting hosed down so no one ever takes me up on my offer. Faith enjoys playing in the outdoor water bowls ... I should get a couple pools for them. I also bring them in early, about 10AM, take them out later for quick potty breaks, then take them out again about 7 or 8 PM.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It's 100 degrees and humid here today, and it's been in the high 90's since Saturday. Hubby went out and got Wolfie a kiddie pool. He loves it! I keep him in the AC in the house, and when we walk in the evening, I take him to swim in the ocean. He loves Frosty Paws too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My dogs are inside in the cool basement during the hottest parts of the day. Lake, Kiddie pool, shade, and plenty of water bowls outside. We walk early in the am or long after sunset (hot air and hot concrete!). Shorter walks, and constantly watch for the dogs to slow down and start dragging. Never force your dog to keep going when he/she wants to stop -- Having worked in an emergency hospital for over 8 years, I've seen my share of overheated dogs die despite treatment. Dogs just cannot cool off like we can by sweating; they only have their tongues and their paw pads for that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hunter has the same treatment as my two boys.. He has his own pool, and he is inside when it is real hot. Walks are taken at about 5:00am, and 8:00pm. Any rough housing is done in doors while at these temps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Exercise before 8am and after 8pm.

Treadmill sounds really tempting for all of us!

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have been having one heat wave after the other, and Juta does not mind, she is sitting on the deck, does not want to come in.
She has access to cold water, but otherwise the humidity does not seem to face her.
she behaves like she has no fur...lol
as wor workout I take her at 5AM before it gets to hot

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have to make Baron lay in the shade and drink lots of water. I also make sure to cool down his paws with water if we are out and it is hot. I play with him most in the evening when it has started to cool down. Fan and air conditioner on low in the house keeps it pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
We have the kiddie pool also for Cullen, but we never leave him outside alone, so we don't have to worry much. He has a whole rooom now instead of a crate MOST of the time, with ceiling fans and the AC on always! For Schutzhund, since we are outdoors the whole time, i keep HUGE jugs of water, along with a cooler of frozen bottles and ice... and I am trying to sew a sheet with hooks to clasp to the bottom of the back of the explorer, and then put cold wraps/icepacks under

Oh.. and ... if it's a little warm in the house ( our AC guys are bums, and it craps out every now n then) we put the icepacks in his fleece bed lined with plastic.. and he can lay on his bed, and it's cool

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
we exercise at night (play, walk,
train, etc.)

our central air is down. we bought a unit for the bedroom.
we keep our dog in the bedroom with the ac set at 69 degrees.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts