German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in the afternoon I noticed that my 8 month old GSD had a very smelly and wet spot (fur was quite wet) on his back above hind legs.
I thought that he had maybe sat on something nasty and that's why the smell. So I bathed him completely. But the thing is not going. So I researched and found the closest thing to be Dog Hot spots. But I am not sure.
Here it is now extremely hot with day time temperatures touching 36C.
So, my dog Simba often goes and sleeps in his own wet bathroom, even though the doors to the room are open and the fans are turned on.
He prefers that spot. He has also lost a bit of his lunch appetite since 2 days now. I figured that his loss of appetite in the afternoon was due to the excessive heat. At night, he finishes his meals.

The spot is extremely smelly and was not there in the morning.
It just came out of nowhere in the afternoon. I washed the area with water mixed with Povidone-Iodine (Betadine) around evening.
After 2 more hours, I could see many more of such spots. I applied the Betadine again. He is stinking really bad. But is in playful mood.
I will take him to the vet tomorrow.
Is it serious. Please help me. I don't wanna lose him so early in life. Please please help. :(

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
Hot spots are not uncommon, and while uncomfortable for the dog, they shouldn't be all that serious. Definitely take him to the vet, they may want to shave the area around the spot to expose it to the air, and if any of them are infected you'll need antibiotics. When Halo had one (HUGE!) they also gave me a drying powder to put on it. The most important thing you can do right now is prevent him from licking the spots. If you don't have a cone for him to wear, you should buy one right away. I got Halo this collar, which worked very well, but I had to get it online and wait a few days for it to arrive: Home Page

It prevented her from turning her head far enough to lick the spot, but she could still eat, sleep, play, and use the dog door wearing it. I'll find some pictures to post later.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Finding the cause is sometimes the tough part.

I have used cornstarch to dry them out, it seems to stop the itch and stinging and is safe if they happen to ingest it.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
You can purchase Vetericyn hot spot spray, many on hear swear by it...

Interim, organic apple cider vinegar mix 50/50 w/water and spray on - antibacterial

Goldenseal tea, spray on and/or compress's will take the itch out - 1 bag/C of boiling water - steep to room temp.

raw organic cold pressed coconut oil - topically will help heal the wounds and internally 1 tsp./10lbs body weight

Did you change or start using HW prevention recently or past 2-3 months? This may be a reaction

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you can clip or cut all the hair around it :)
Betadine is good, don't even need to dilute it :)
Hex gets them when he's stressed the last one was quite bad I took him to the vet and they prescribed antibiotics which fixed it up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to come back and post a picture. Here is Halo in the BiteNot collar, with her ginormous hot spot:

It grew amazingly fast, it literally tripled in size overnight. Once I got the collar and was able to keep her from licking it, it started healing right away. This is the antiseptic/astringent power drying powder the vet gave me: Mckillip's Dusting Powder, Disinfectants & Antiseptics| Wound Care , | Allivet Trusted Pharmacy

He had me make a paste with a little water and apply it to the spot rather than just dusting on the dry powder. It dried almost immediately, and stayed on much better than powder would have. She was also on antibiotics because hot spots can get infected.

How is Simba doing?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I hope everything heals well for you! Hot spots can get nasty in our breed, FAST, without the owner noticing until it's very large.

This is why many vets put dogs on antibiotics for what may seem like "minor" skin dermatitis. Because it can quickly turn into THIS without the owner noticing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts