German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently our Bart has gotten a few raw, red areas that he nibbles on and makes worse. Not sure what to do. Googled 'dog hot spots' and that sounds closest to what we are observing. Hydrogen peroxide, polysporin, anti-itch (bad tasting) stuff, etc. doesn't seem to help. Spots seem to be tender to touch (he reacts). Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're feeding him Nutrience Lamb and Rice, with no wheat or corn ingredients because he had serious skin issues when we got him 4 years ago and going to the L&R seemed to clear things up. We also always have given him apples and carrots as a treat - he turns his nose up at any other 'normal' dog treats. It's just recently he's had these 'hot spots'.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Gold bond(blue container) powder will help alleviate the itching and absorb the moisture...but it won't stop another one from popping up. My golden/border x had these come and go every August. She has been on a raw diet since last June, and this past fall, she didn't get any at all. You could also use diluted w/water listerine(brown) as an anitseptic for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I saw the Listerine suggestion on Google but they had baby oil as an additional ingredient. I've been doing that. Maybe I just have to give it more time.

Bob

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante will get a hotspot from flea bites (reminds me, I better get him started on his "stuff"). I use 50/50 Apple Cider Vinigar (Raw organic Braggs is what I use) on it and have had great luck.

ETA - One of them I did have to shave his fur around it so that it had a real chance to dry out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm reluctant to run to the vet with every little worry. The last time I spoke to her about a skin issue, which was much more extensive than this one, she was a bit vague and suggested it could be an allergy and that it was OK to give him Benadryl and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Penny gets hot spots from her allergies and Gold Bond medicated powder works like a charm! The vinegar/water combo works well too, but for ease of application I prefer the gold bond powder. Dries them up almost instantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts