German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I did search this site but could not find any information on hot spots.

What I want to know is what do you put on it. Do you use the vet stuff or is there a home remedy that works. It has been years since I have had a dog with one.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I just use soap and water and keep it dry. Big ones or ones that keep getting bigger, should be seen by a vet.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you use the Penaten cream on it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
When my old GSD Mikey got a pretty bad hot spot on his hip
my vet told me the best stuff to use on it was Desitin ointment.
Thats the stuff they use for babies with diaper rash.

Smear it on liberally. The zinc oxide in it dries the spot up pretty
quickly and most dogs wont lick it since its not too tasty. Worked for us.
A tube of that will treat a lot of hot spots.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Penaten cream has something else in it that Desitin does not. I cannot remember what it is and the darn label is in German.

I have used Penaten and it did nothing. I cut the fur back as close as I can, clean it with Peroxide, rinse it and then treat it with witch hazel.

There is a product called Calm Coat that I use too. You will have to google it.

Havoc has allergies and he flares up with hot spots several times a year. I have found the witch hazel is about the best I can use at home.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have used Vetericyn or Vet's Best Hot Spot Spray, both can be obtained at pet stores/feed stores,,works good:) (also shave the area if you can)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I used diluted listerine(brown bottle) to clean the area after clipping the hair away, then applied gold bond medicated powder to the spot. It cleared up after a few days. This was on a golden/borderx she got hot spots every August until I switched her to a raw diet.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! I was able to get the vetericyn at a local pet shop. Looks like its a good product to keep on hand.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Valerie, a little FYI on the vetericyn,,,I bought it at a horse show, the sales person told me, when not using it, keep it in the refrigerator, it will last "forever"..they can't put that on their labels because of FDA rules..Shelf life otherwise is about a year.

She also told me to let it warm up to room temp before using on the dog:)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
desitin is great stuff, the only thing with that you don't want them ingesting it:(

the vetericyn no biggy if they ingest.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I noticed my Dakota was getting one on his neck, where he had several times in the past. I cut his hair away from there washed it, dried it, and it went away.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My old lab developed a hot spot that grew from the size of a quarter to covering almost a third of his face in one day. It looked so grotesque that I thought he had been snake bitten. I freaked! It was after hours, so I called the e-vet. He advised me to mix up some sugar water and sponge the entire area thoroughly and it would stop the progress until I could get him to the vet the next morning. It worked. He stated that sugar water was an antibacterial solution. The next day we used the vet prescribed ointment (can't remember the name) and it cleared up over time. Sugar water, who would have thought?:confused:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Valerie, a little FYI on the vetericyn,,,I bought it at a horse show, the sales person told me, when not using it, keep it in the refrigerator, it will last "forever"..they can't put that on their labels because of FDA rules..Shelf life otherwise is about a year.

She also told me to let it warm up to room temp before using on the dog:)
Oh nice to know, thanks!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I can say that I started the Vetericyn yesterday and the hot spot is already dry. Now for the healing! How long should I use it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts