German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I help Roy cool down in this hot weather? Between June-September average gonnna be 115 F, that's just how it is here. He hates being indoors even though it is air conditioned, always wants to be out. So I have him stay in a shaded area where his food/water/toys are all next to him. He is always there. I put around 15 ice cubes in his water twice a day. He drinks lots of water. This helps him cool down a lot and he seem to be happy during the day.

Issue is I can't just expect him to stay in the shaded area for 12 hours, every time he sees me to take him for a walk or play with him. I do that when the sun goes down or 1 hr before it gets dark.

What should I do during the day with him? He is very active but I can't let him play/walk under the sun. It is very dry too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
build him a kennel with a roof on it. build him a kennel with a fan
in it or ac. bring your inside, lower the ac and play some inside games
and train.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
If you are in a hot DRY area, you can set up misters and, yes, fans are awesome but I have never dealt with temperatures that hot. Does he also have a pool to get in? I would be changing out the water daily because you don't want him in hot water not to mention the nasties that grow in hot water.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Our 2 dogs love the kiddie pool we have for them. Our GSD puppy just LOVES the water. Yesterday she actually would put her whole head under water and shake her head and jump up and down. We had never seen her do that before, but she was loving it. We keep the pool in the shade and the dogs can get in it whenever they want. The more they use it, the more often you have to refill it to keep it fresh and clean.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Misters are nice because you can place them above the dog and out of reach (and chewing range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts