German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a horrible day at the vets, still just totally depressed over it. If you don't want to read this, its okay, just needed to express it. Please don't blast these people for what happened, their whole family is devastated, especially the 13 yr old who adored his GSD.
She is 4 years old, well cared for , well loved. Folks are building a new home next to their present home. Nothing at all for the dog, or kids to get into, dog does not run loose. They have been walking up to the new house over the weekend with the dog and kids.
About 8:45 this am, they brought her into the clinic, swaying, wobbling, totally out of it. Said she came out of her kennel like that this am. No signs of anything trauma, nothing she could have gotten into. Terribly dehydrated, eyes not totally focasing, head wobbling. We immediately did blood work, hooked her up to IV's, some pain meds because she was groaning continually. First blood results showed almost total kidney shutdown, liver failure among other things.
We put 3 liters of fluids into her, no urine output. Finally did a cathertization and got some urine. Did a second blood draw, results worse than the first. Final diagnosis: Antifreeze. Family can only figure one of the workers truck must have a leak and that is how she got it.
We put her down at 3 pm today. Her boy was holding her head, sitting in the cage, his dad was with him. This was probably the hardest euthanasia we have had in awhile, it affected both vets and both us vet tech horribly.
I came home early, hugged my puppy and cried.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
oh my gosh, how horribly sad:(((

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oh how sad!!! Sorry for all involved including the ones trying to save that poor baby!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
wow. I'm sorry you had to do that :( may the doggy rest in peace. unfortunately accidents do happen.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
That was the one part I hated about being a vet tech. When the family wanted to stay with the pet while we put them down it was heart wrenching literally. I would cry every time like it was my pet being put down:( Sorry you had one of "those" days:(

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Such a tragic loss, will be saying a prayer for the family.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That is terrible. That poor family. My first thought was the dog was poisoned though.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
This is awful, I am so sad for the family.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Oh that's sooo sad. Makes me want to cry too!! My prayers are withe the family. Poor sweet boy holding he beloved dog as she crossed over hurts my heart.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Another reason to give our dogs a big hug and savor every minute. Accidents happen and while tragic, you can't always plan for every one. So sad...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats very sad. prayers for the family.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I cried just reading that. Thats how we lost our Buddy..... I would have been in his spot then had him go through that. I loved him so much. :-( It's so heartbreaking!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
My thoughts go out to you and to that young boy and his family. May that sweet young dog run free at The Bridge.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Heartbreaking. :(

I can tell you from personal experience that having caring vets & techs like you really is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts