German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone through college for criminal justice and even taken a class or two on working with K-9 dogs. I am about to leave for the United States Navy as a MA; my hopes are to place high enough in my A school so that I am able to choose the option of working on the K-9 group as I have a German Shepherd and love working with them.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Good luck in your school and studies. Would you be happy working with another breed, a Lab or even a Beagle (they have great noses) like for bomb detection, or do you only want a GSD partner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I am not sure how I would take to another breed. When I was a baby (Now 21) My mom had 2 German Shepherds one white and one black and brown, and now I have the 3 year old. In my one class on K-9's I did read how some airports have transitioned to using smaller dogs like beagles due to there keen sense of smell, however I am partial to German Shepherds since they are what I have grown up with and truly love. As of now I would have to say I would prefer a Shepherd as much as possible however I would not turn down the job of working with a dog if lets say a Shepherd was not available at the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts