German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just joined this website. I will give you the brief history of our 5 year old female GSD. We purchased her a week after we for married. She was 12 weeks old. It's been a bumpy ride with her (health)... The lady we bought her from is a very irresponsible GSD breeder. It was our first dog purchase, so we learned the hard way. We were lied too, etc etc etc. She def knew this was our first time purchasing a dog and she took full advantage of us. Took us 2 years to get the papers and I don't think they are the right papers. The lady couldn't even remember which dog we purchased. At 2 years old, she was favoring her left hip. We took her in and had everything scanned. As a 2 year old GSD, her X-Rays were of a 15 year old GSD. She has hip and elbow dysphasia. She is a wonderful dog. We have a 4 year old and 10 month old son. She is VERY good with children. She is very protective of her pack (our family) ....Her ball drive is off the charts. She has had a few flare ups due to her dysphasia, but nothing major yet.

We just enclosed out patio and turned it into a playroom for our children. This was about 2 weeks ago...Only took the weekend to so this. Starting about a week ago, Meeka started peeing in our living every night. This was very unusual. She is very good at holding it if she has too....This was happening every night...Not just one accident, 2-3...and a large amount. We first thought she was upset that we took her patio away....Her ball play sessions were still normal and still are. She has crazy drive....Her ball never leaves her side. Yesterday I was in the living room and she squatted right in front on me and peed on the floor. I knew something wasn't right. Even at night, she would come to our bedroom and pace the floors, or let us know she had to go....Past week, none of this....

My wife took her in today at 4pm. Our vet is a former GSD owner/breeder. He knew something was up by her eyes and gums. They had a lot of yellow in them. How me and my wife didn't catch this, I don't know. I thought she had a UTI personally. I was way wrong....They ran her blood and it is off the charts. Her white blood count is 47,000, her Liver enzymes are a 10.0(I think .9 is normal, I might have some of these number mixed up) ....He called us about 2 hours ago to give us the test results. They have her on 2 antibiotics, pumping a lot of fluid in her, catheter(sp?)..... He said it could be cancer, acute liver failure, kidney failure, or a bad infection. If she doesn't respond to the antibiotics, it's probably one of the worker ones. Her coordination is still normal, her ball drive is still normal. She also vomited twice during the week of abnormal events. We noticed she wasn't eating much and had very little vowel movement. We are hoping for the best. She is a part of our family and only being 5 years old, she is way too young to go. I have no idea how to explain this to my 4 year old if she happened to not pull through. My wife is a wreck. She is a stay at home mom, so she spends everyday with Meeka. We are going up there at 10am tomorrow to see her and our vet is going to go over all the bloodwork with us in more detail. He said her charts look like a shotgun pattern. He is hoping she responds to the antibiotics.

One other thing I can't shake. My next door neighbor is very hard to live next too . She hates my dog. I won't go into detail about her, but I've caught her taking pictures of my backyard (I have no idea why).... There is a rain runoff "ditch" behind my backyard. A lot of traffic goes through there. Meeka barks and lets us know when there is someone back there. I'm glad she does this. My neighbor is not. Meeka sleeps inside at night time. She has called the police on us several times due to Meeka barking. Police tell her it's during the middle of the day, and not during the cities "quiet time". The told her each time, our dog wasn't a nuisance or a problem. They told her she would have to file a civil complaint if she wanted to go anywhere with it. So far she hasn't. It's in the back of my head that this could of been caused by chemicals. Actually, it was my first thought. Hard to picture anyone doing this, but you just have to know this lady to understand.

I thought I would share everything going on. I'm sure I will need some advice along the way if she doesn't pull through.. As in, buying a new puppy, how long to wait, what to tell my 4 year old, etc....This is my first post on this forum. But, I've read a lot of information on here throughout the years. Please pardon any missing words or grammar problems....I typed this up on the go. I hope I can get some people to weigh in on this.

:)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
when i got to the paragraph "one thing i can't shake", goose-bumps ran all up and down my arms. you say meeka sleeps inside at night time. is she left alone out in your yard at other times? does she live outside in the daytime? i would be very concerned about the neighbor. actually sometimes your "first thought" is your intuition speaking to you.

ordinarily i would not say this unless you had already lost your dog...but since you brought it up already yourself, i just want to say please don't buy, rescue. there are so many wonderful dogs in need.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would tell your vet the neighbor concerns and have the vet tests for any kind of poisoning. I wouldn't trust your neighbor either....

Is your GSD on any kind of pain meds like Rimadyl for the hips?? They could be the cause of the liver problems. Although your vet should be running tests through the year to make sure everything is ok......

Hope everything turns out ok....

(edit) O.P You should put this thread in the health section. You will get a lot more reply's about what could be wrong. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in here....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hope she responds to treatment, sounds like she has such a loving family that stands behind her. I have often wished we lived on a piece of land that at least there werent people or other animals just right on the other side of the fence.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Back in September my girl was real sick. She just turned a year and gave me quite a scare. Her eyes were so bloodshot that it scared me pretty bad, she had a temperature, wasn't chasing the cats, wasn't pooping and her white blood cell count was really high. They tested her for everything and nothing came back positive. She returned to normal after a couple days on the antibiotics...they never found out what was wrong, but they went with an infection, but didn't know what was affected. She had every test possible and xrays. I pray that everything turns out good for you. I kept going back to poison with mine too, someone put squirrel poison down and a couple dogs died by me. Voice your concerns and let them run whatever tests are necessary.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would definately be concerned about that neighbor too. And I agree with Katieliz, that if that was one of your gut instincts, well.....

I really hope everything turns out for her. She is still so young, and make sure to tell the vet about your concerns about the neighbor...it may give them something else to consider. Keep a very close eye on her... :(

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Please call the vet ASAP and let them know your concerns about your neighbor.

I am hope you are amazed at her turnaround - antibiotics and fluids can do amazing things.

But do call your vet about the idea of poison now - they will want to add something like Vitamin K and be sure not to give her something like Cerenia.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I made a wish for your doggie on my wishing jar

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
we are all concerned about meeka. please update when you can. thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My dads delivery guy's pup was supposedly poisoned by a neighbor. Can you imagine a grown truck driver crying? I almost choked over it.

I am sending good health vibes to Meeka. Please keep us posted on her condition.

On a positive note, one of my pups ate meat that had been tossed out on our walk trail. I suspect it was poisoned because she got sick. She recovered fully from it...

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Praying for sweet Meeka and your family. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
this is so heartbreaking, I hope the vets can pull her around as well, and yes tell them about the neigbor ! You never know , all info the vets can have can only help.

Please let us know how meeka is doing

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
I hope Meeka is recovering. We often forget but when there is a sudden change in behavior, a vet visit is a priority. Glad you caught whatever it is when you did.

I would think that if she had been poisoned, she would have died by now.

It's easy to think evil of people when they have expressed displeasure about an animal or something else and something bad happens.

Again, I hope to hear that Meeka is improving.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Definitely let your vet know about your neighbor concerns. I had a dog poisoned by someone who fed him crab meat stuffed with rat poison. i was really young, and it was devastating.

I'm definitely gonna keep Meeka in my thoughts.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow...Thanks for all the support. We went to see Meeka at 10 this morning. She was extremely excited to see us and was trying to get out of Dodge when she spotted us. She seemed to be a lot more perky and her normal self. I meant to get a copy of her blood charts so I could post it on here. Her Bilirubin was a 10.... He said normal was 0.9. WBC 47,000.... Wish I would of got that copy....Most things were in red. He didn't think it was cancer. He thinks it is either a infection on her liver, gall bladder, or pancreas. They have her on 3 antibiotics. Two by IV and one orally. It's amazing what fluids and antibiotics did for her. They are going to keep on on this treatment and run her blood work again Monday to see if things are getting better. Yesterday, me and my wife really didn't think she was going to make it after hearing of her blood test results. As of right now, we are very optimistic. It's crazy how relentless and determined GSD are.

I talked to him about our neighbor yesterday and we talked about it today. He doesn't think it has anything to do with chemicals, but he said they would keep it on their mind.
Meeka doesn't have too many issues yet with her hip dysphasia, but he said she would later on in life. We have had her on Rimadyl on 3 different occasions when she had a flare up or tweaked something. She takes Dasuquin daily. We try to get her to the lake as much as possible in the summer time to get some swimming exercises in. As of right now, things have been normal with her...She gets plenty of ball time everyday. She is absolutely nuts about her tennis balls and racketballs....

Meeka sleeps inside every night. She has never once slept outside all night. This is due to my neighbor. When we first moved into this house 4 years ago, we caught her spraying Meeka with the water hose to get her off the fence line. Every since, Meeka hates her...Honestly hates her. Meeka is good to everyone. Cautious and alert around strangers, but we have never had any problems with her not liking someone else, to my knowledge. She loves my in laws, my mom, brothers, sisters, etc. This tells me that she senses something about my neighbor that throws her into I'm going to eat you mode. Crazy thing about it, Meeka is fine with my neighbors husband. We plan to get a privacy fense up ASAP and a few "monitoring systems" .... This neighbor writes out city ordinances on signs and hangs them on her mailbox....Caught her taking pictures of my backyard...I guess its because i cant get grass to grow due to a huge tree....Who knows. We have a normal backyard. Our 4 year old might have some toys strung out, but we keep everything maintained like any other normal family with young children. This was our first house to buy, so we did the FHA loan. We have to stay here for 5 or 6 years I think or we have to pay back the $8,000 tax credit. I grew up in the country. Living in city limits isn't for me. We only have a population of 30,000.... I will get a copy of the bloodwork and post it on here. It might as well be in Chinese because I don't understand most of it. LOL. Sorry it took so long for the update. Hopefully things continue to get better. Monday we will know for sure if its a infection or something else....I hope.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Thank you for the update. Praying for continued improvement and a good report on Monday.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm happy to hear about the improvement...don't be surprised if you never get a final reason why, just be happy your girl is fine. I was at the vet with my oldest dog today for a recheck on an infected anal gland and they offer a laser therapy that helps with the joints, hips, bones, etc. I seen the poster so I asked about it, its nice to know that later on relief is offered. It can last a month, 6 months, a year...all depends on the dog.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Important Safety Information: RIMADYL is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication available only by prescription through your veterinarian. As with other NSAID-class medications, signs of RIMADYL intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. Some of these side effects may occur without warning and, in rare situations may be serious, resulting in hospitalization or even death. If these signs occur, discontinue RIMADYL therapy and consult your veterinarian. Click here for full prescribing information.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Important Safety Information: RIMADYL is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication available only by prescription through your veterinarian. As with other NSAID-class medications, signs of RIMADYL intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. Some of these side effects may occur without warning and, in rare situations may be serious, resulting in hospitalization or even death. If these signs occur, discontinue RIMADYL therapy and consult your veterinarian. Click here for full prescribing information.
So do you think that the rimadyl could cause the situation the dog is in now?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts