German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have been extensively searching for a WGSD from a reputable breeder. Unfortunately, I have only come across breeders that have bad practices, bad reviews on here, planned litters that are too far off or their grammatical skills are so poor that there is no way they can be smart enough to breed dogs.

(Disclaimer: I know my grammar is weak as well, but these people are beyond belief bad...)

Anyway, my wife and I live in Louisiana and are hoping to get a puppy as soon as possible. The reason we want one now is because I may be making a big change, location wise, very soon and would like to have the dog well trained before said move, several months from now. I also am wanting one sooner because I have been looking for a while now and I'm getting anxious. As far as what we are looking for in the dog, I will create a bulleted list below:

-White (Obviously I would like a pretty dog but am more concerned with the health and temperament.)
-Male
-I am not looking to breed or compete with him. Just want a super intelligent, loving, protective, well tempered shepherd. I want to teach him as many tricks/commands as possible and may put him in the defense training classes (can't remember the name... sorry)
-I would like the breeder to provide a solid guarantee that will cover the dog's health. I have seen a lot of 1 year guarantees which do nothing to let me know the dog likely won't get HD.
-If there is anything major I left out please let me know.

Some of the breeders and kennels I have looked into are:
-Kerstone Shepherds
-Jackie Baughman
-Whites and Kennels
-White Stone Shepherds.
-Eclipse Kennels
-Susan Ewart
-Etc.

I won't say who were the good, bad, dumb or the delayed litter ones are but you guys know much more than I do.

I would greatly appreciate any help and direction you all have to offer.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
BBS is another name for the WGSD because in Europe and especially Germany, they do not recognize the white coat for the GSD and the SV, the parent club of the German Shepherd Dog, does not allow WGSDs on their registry. Because of this, the BBS was created. Look at http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-german-shepherd-vs-white-swiss-shepherd.html

That will give you the reason why the WGSD was split off into the BBS. I sent you a PM, by the way.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Just wanted to wish you good luck c:! And that I'm anxious for you as well! Can't WAIT to see puppy pictures!

Good for you for doing extensive research. It'll pays off!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zeeva,

I've seen your posts all over the place on here so let me ask you...

Thoughts on Kerstone Kennels and thoughts on the Berger Blanc Suisse puppies at Surefire?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Just an FYI. If you want a dog that can be registered with the AKC be sure to ask the breeder about it before buying the pup. A BBS/AKC white GSD mix can't be registered with the AKC or any FCI country registry as a BBS or a GSD, it can only be registered with the UKC as a White Shepherd. (nothing wrong with that, just making sure you know because you mentioned Surefire)

I don't like recommending breeders it gets too complicated, but you might want to add Foxhunt White Shepherds in Florida to your search list. I noticed she isn't on it. Her website is over the top with bells, whistles and music :eek: but she's producing some really nice dogs and getting positive feedback about the dogs she's sent to Freedom Guide Dogs. A very involved, long time breeder of White Shepherds worth adding to your comparison list.

My 3 are from Braehead White Shepherds. No complaints here. :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Just letting you know that I did receive your PM and will respond as soon as I can (about to run out, will be back in a few hours). I have met a few Surefire dogs in person, and am acquainted with owners/breeders/partners of Eclipse, Kerstone, and White Stone Kennels. I will send you my opinions and what I have heard about them.

I highly recommend speaking to Whiteshepherds, who's post is above mine, and hearing her recommendations. She knows what she is talking about, and her dogs sound amazing!

·
Registered
766 Posts
If we're talking about Surefire Shepherds in Longview, Wa my hubby and I are going to be getting our next puppy from her (or an adult depending on if we want to go through the puppy stage again). :)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If we're talking about Surefire Shepherds in Longview, Wa my hubby and I are going to be getting our next puppy from her (or an adult depending on if we want to go through the puppy stage again). :)
I don't mind puppies except the first few weeks...seems like all they do is eat, sleep, pee, take two steps, pee again, sit down, stand up and pee again. ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I do not have one of their dogs, but if you are looking as far away as WA you might check out Parsons Shepherds. I've chatted with the owners over email and they seem really nice and knowledgeable. They show in the UKC and do some dock-diving/herding occasionally.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Actually, if you are thinking about moving in the near future, you may want to just take a deep breath, relax and just focus on continuing to find a great breeder and waiting for that perfect puppy.

Focus more on your move and finding the perfect new dog friendly neighborhood/house/life and then add that new puppy when things are more in place and you won't feel quite so rushed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Something turned me off about Parsons. Can't remember what it was...

And as far as the move goes, I may be moving somewhere for a couple years and the wife may stay behind for work reasons and just come to visit a lot. That's why we want him now, so I can work with him and train him before I go. Also, dealing with a new puppy would be easier with us both working together. If we wait until I move there is no way she could manage on her own with her work schedule.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Something turned me off about Parsons. Can't remember what it was...

And as far as the move goes, I may be moving somewhere for a couple years and the wife may stay behind for work reasons and just come to visit a lot. That's why we want him now, so I can work with him and train him before I go. Also, dealing with a new puppy would be easier with us both working together. If we wait until I move there is no way she could manage on her own with her work schedule.
Well just be careful, my GSD's all need alot of time for a full year or so (hmm maybe 2 yrs) before they calm down and are easier. That's with miles of exercise and lots of dog classes.

So you are right to be careful and find an extremely laid back puppy or sounds like your wife will be absolutely overwhelmed without you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never mind. It was that they only had 1 girl left and the price is 2 grand.

Looking for a boy and that dog better crap gold if I'm gonna pay 2 grand for a puppy that I can get for 1200 somewhere else, with the same quality and health.

Unless her dogs are the cream of the crop and I'm missing something.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It'll be a year (give or take) before I move so getting a puppy now would be nice. Plus he will keep her company while I'm gone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts