German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Frankie is 4 months old now and really an amazing puppy. We all love him so much and he is truly a blessing to our family. There is one caveat...his nipping. I know that this is part of the teething process and we accept that. We are using the bite inhibition technique and it has worked wonderfully on all of us except my 5 year old son. It has to be something that he is doing that triggers the reaction from Frankie but I just can't figure it out yet. We are "training" my son as well. Anyway, it's a work in progress. Tonight we tried having Alijah, my son, do a little redirecting of his own in hopes that it would improve (closely monitored of course). We had him have the toys at the ready and here are the pics. They both had fun and Frankie definitely sensed that he didn't need to tug as hard as he usually does with my husband or me.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
How adorable! Tugging does help the pup to get that oral need to bite out!
I would switch to a french linen two handle tug for your son's sake. Those rubber ones are harder to target and he may get his fingers pierced.
Though Frankie will be teething soon, so heavy tugging will have to stop.
Love those pics, and your son is a natural! The way his posture is in the shots shows a non confrontational pose, just what the pup needs. Sideways and not looking him in the eye is best, otherwise Frankie may see him as a "challenge" and be a bit more ramped up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so so much for that suggestion! I was very much on edge throughout the playtime tonight for that exact reason. I made sure that Alijah held it out at arms length the whole time but you are absolutely right about the fingers...made me nervous! We will be picking a few of the new tugs soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts