German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i raise pigeons - i had one that i was gonna cull - i thought i`d give it to SALEEN well she loved it - only thing left was feathers - and no this bird wasan`t banded....

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I have considered raising both rabbits and chickens for meat, but I would never give my girls a live one for food. I really don't need that kind of prey drive, and a living breathing creature that we are responsible for ought to be killed with a minimum amount of trauma. I don't know how you can guaranty that giving it to a dog to kill.

I have seen Frodo kill a mouse, and his first one was really a drawn out process where he was grabbing it with his foot and then jumping back. Finally I took a broom and flung the mouse outside.

I raise puppies. If I would need to cull one, I would make sure it was quick, because generally when we raise a critter, we have some feelings for it.

I guess this does not freak me out, but it does disgust me a little bit.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My parents own a farm, they raise meat animals - sheep, chickens, turkeys. They also have barn cats and have to protect their land from other animals like foxes, racoons, etc. Death is a common occurrence, but it's always as quick and humane as possible.

I hope the bird was already dead, for reasons Selzer has already mentioned. If it was, I would only worry about them getting a taste for that animal and seeing them as food. Not a good thing

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
My guys catch, kill and eat rabbits, voles and other critters in our field. It's called 'Nature' and it's usually the sick or elderly ones that can't outrun the pack that get eaten.

Trust me - a dog can make a very quick kill.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
They can, but they do not always do. Killing a wild thing is nature, no problem with a dog doing that, except, I am not really wanting that kind of prey drive.

But for critters we take out of the wild, and who are raised by us, to trust us, I could not give them into the teeth of a dog.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am not sure pigeon man gave the pigeon live to the dog. Said it was a cull. Maybe he dispatched it first.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I don't have a problem with it, if you don't. I am too squeamish to do it myself. When I get a house, I will raise chicken & ducks for eggs. Rabbits is a good idea, but I need a man around to turn it in to dog food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
The "and no, this bird wasn't banded" made me believe that he gave it to the dog when it could have flown and gotten away. But his fast, killer dog was able to catch it before it managed to get away. That is disturbing, to me anyway. The pigeon was old enough to fly, didn't have its wings clipped, and was given to a dog. That means the bird trusted the man and he gave it to the dog to be eaten. Yeah that bothers me.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I agree with Selzer...it doesn't freak me out, but it disgust me and not a little bit. I would never give my dog a live animal to hunt and kill or allow it to do so. Dogs are domesticated and them killing their prey is not really a part of nature anymore. Dogs aren't wild anymore. If it was a dog that is on the street and its the only way for it to survive, I can understand it better, because there is no human there to feed it. I could never allow my dogs to kill another breathing thing, the guilt would probably kill me:(

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That means the bird trusted the man and he gave it to the dog to be eaten. Yeah that bothers me.
I'm with you 100%..I couldn't even imagine doing something like that.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The 'wasn't' banded part is probably in case people get upset that the dog ate a piece of metal. I don't know if the bird was alive or dead, but that is pigeon man's business, his pigeon.

Keeta has often pounced and killed birds, mice, baby rabbits, and ate them. Gryff will take fresh kill away from the cats and eat it. I find it 'normal', they are animals: predators.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Ok, was it one I was gonna cull, or one I culled.

It reads like the bird was alive.

Yes, maybe it is his business, his pigeons. Let's say there is a pup born that I feel ought to be culled, should I pass it over to one of my other bitches so she can kill and eat it. Because some bitches will kill another bitch's pups. Cats will. If you want to cull a litter of kittens, should you give them to a tom? Or how about your dog?

It is disgusting if you care about the critters that your are culling. And if you are keeping critters that you really don't care about than that is disgusting too. And yes, even if you are raising them for meat. I understand that people have to have a mindset when you are raising critters for meat, but it shouldn't be heartless.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Maybe the banded part was to ensure that the bird was not someone else's bird. Who knows. I think it is pretty normal for a dog to kill and eat a wild critter, but if a critter is yours, I find it a rather repulsive way to cull.

·
Registered
31,698 Posts
lots of assumptions going on here...was the bird alive? was it dead? was it a pet?

People used to, and probably still do, eat pigeons. why can't the dog? Our outside cats catch birds

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
So if you raise sheep, and people and dogs eat lamb. Should you hand your spring lambs over to your dogs to cull them? I couldn't.

I raised a baby robin as a youngster. We fed the bird and sheltered it until it was able to fly. Every morning it would be in our garden, and we could walk up to it and pick it up. It could fly and it would fly away in the evening. It trusted us.

A neighborhood cat got it. I certainly would have never caused that to happen.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Our outside cats catch birds
Versus your inside cats? This is a whole different topic. I have five cats, all indoor, I do not believe cats should be outdoors. They do their share of hunting, but they are hunted also. I can't stand when people let their cats outside so I can see them dead in the street because they got hit by a car, or I hear it crying in the middle of the night because a coyote got it or their cats are pooping on my lawn and/or spraying on my screen door.....Okay I'm done ranting, you guys can keep on talking pigeons:)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Talking in generalities since we don't know if the bird in question was alive or dead, we have a responsibility to limit the pain and fear of our meat producing animals, (like chickens and rabbits), just as we do our 'pets'. I think it would be cruel to give it to our pet for the sport of catching/killing its meal. It didn't have a chance as they do in the wild. They are tame and won't run at first sight of us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I understand that people have to have a mindset when you are raising critters for meat, but it shouldn't be heartless.
Your posts are cracking me up selzer!

So the pigeons "trust" him. So that somehow means only he should kill them. And, he "raised" them. So he should kill them nicely.

I'm gonna guess the "not banded" comment was to let us know the dog did not eat a piece of metal. I'm also gonna guess that his dog did the killing. Probably did it as quicker than a human could kill it. Have you ever actually seen a pigeon killed? I have. When their head comes off the body takes off running around and flipping all over the place. It can take a few minutes for that to stop. A dog would have probably completely eaten it less time. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Our pups go to homes with people that have birds and cats, and other critters. I have a pup out there living with a bird. If I raised birds, I would not want my dog to kill and eat the birds I have been raising.

And yes, when we care for a domestic animal we have a responsibility to that animal to ensure that if we can we make sure it goes easy.

I think it is disgusting to take a critter you raised and give it to another critter you have as a pet to kill and eat. And, I am pretty sure pigeon man knows that it would disgust some of us.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
whats with this run of threads lately where new members make potentially highly emotionally charged threads and never once reply on them, seems a bit suspect to me??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts