German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using the HK base mix with the raw feeding. I also add Dr Dobias Omega 3. Is it enough to complete the necessary nutrition for my 3.5 year old female? TIA.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Chicken is mostly bone. Talk to the folks at THK about that. That's a lot of calcium. They can run the calculation by their nutritionist. Just call them!

They told me a bit of bone is okay -- but I was talking to them about Primal Grinds with max 10% bone. Your chicken is much higher.

It's meant to be fed with meat -- muscle alone (like hamburger, ground turkey or deboned chicken), but muscle with a little (10%) organ is probably much better, esp. if you can get a good mix of organs. As the box says, you need to be feeding meat with EVERY meal -- not 3x week -- every time you feed THK, add some meat per the ratio on the back of the box, to create a complete meal. Don't feed THK alone, even a few days a week. (I'm not sure from your post if that's what you meant, but it sounds like you only give meat 3 days a week, so I wanted to clarify that if you feed THK 7 days a week, there should be an appropriate amount of protein 7 days a week.)

I add fish oil to it too. So did the rep I talk to at THK who fed it. Oddly, Dr. Harvey's similar base mix recommends that on the label. I don't know why THK doesn't.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Magwart Thanks for your reply.

What I meant was: I feed a large super meaty organic chicken thigh with every meal. Then 3X a week or maybe more, I add some ground up red meat and organs depending on the size of the chicken.

I called THK. she said she didn't think that would be a problem, but if I was worried, use the thighs every other day and muscle meat the rest of the days.

Foe some reason, I am a little leary of ground meats thinking about bacteria in the butchers grinder. But I guess it's not a problem.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
You can chop up your own meat (or even grind your own). Slices, chunks or even hunks are as good nutritionally as ground (ground is just easier to measure).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts