German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking Hondo out for a walk in our pasture he has been marking and drooling along a path along the back fence. Curious as to what was causing him to act this way, hubby put up his Stealth Cam. This is what we found today. Note: we didn't set the time so it is off. The pictures are from some time after it got dark last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Oh wow it's like a zoo!! It's amazing how dogs can smell so well and get so worked up over their noses!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the weird part. They are both sniffing the exact spot hubby stood to test the camera. Hondo and I walk all around the area almost every night. In fact, we were out there with hubby setting up the camera. But hubby rarely goes out to the back pasture. So it's like Hondo and I are part of the norm, but hubby is an outsider!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wow! It is crazy how sharp their sense of smell really is.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We plan on leaving it set up till the weekend. It is sorta exciting to see who and what you share your 'home' with!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was the first critter a coyote?

Yes, it was a coyote! I've never seen one in our neighborhood, nor have any of my neighbors. So they must be really good at hiding out during the day and staying away from us skin creatures.

The time on the camera isn't correct, so we are going to attempt to fix it to see what time they actually go across.

My neighbor has tons of chickens in a coop out behind his house and they've never been bothered by the coyotes. I've never had raccoons in the barn or have even seen on So that shows that at times nature and man can live together.

Hondo has always been interested in the very back of our property. But it hasn't been until recently that he has started going to the bathroom (both 1 & 2) on the fence line. He also started sorta chattering and drooling. So I assume a coyote was in heat.

I was worried that it might be a bunch of stray dogs running in a pack. And they can do damage to livestock. So I'm really pleased to see it's just nature.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does is go off when there is movement? thats soooo cool! i wish i had land for my pups
Yes, it sets off with there is movement. At night it throws a bright flash. The two pictures above are at night. I've got a bunch of the horses who couldn't stand something new in the pasture and had to go investigate. Then they stayed a while. But that was cool too, seeing what they do when no body is around.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
When I take my dogs out at night, they usually fly to the the back of the yard barking most nights, looking up into the trees. I shine the flashlight up in my neighbors yard, its all wooded, usually dont see anything but last week there was an Opossum and once I saw 3 Racoons up in the trees. Deer walk thru there as well. I love nature but I really wish this guy cleared his land, he doesn't even mow the tiny clearing by his house. I'd have a lot less ticks if he did.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I need one of those. My dogs are always hunting stuff in the back yard, especially around the shed. I wish I knew what was living under that shed.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Coyotes and coons ! No place like Texas !
Once in a while I hear the pack across the hiway pipe up. Drives DJ nuts. It won't be long before they're gone though. Civilization is steadily encroaching into rural Texas !!! :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts