German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one? Any major issues? Mileage? Gas Mileage?

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
I looked at them before buying my van and the cargo space is super limited. Honda's are very reliable. I think the newer ones have great fuel mileage. I really wanted something with AWD or 4WD, but ended up with a newer Odyssey. My old Odyssey never left me stranded other than a flat tire and we live in the lake effect snow world. Recently I had to drive up a two track covered in ice and I couldn't make it up the hill. The tires weren't knobby enough!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
All I have ever owned are Honda. That's going back to 1996. They all had great reliability, never broke down, put 250-300k miles on each. The new ones are no good. I have a 2013 accord had major break issues at 60k miles. Had to have rear calipers replaced. Never heard of that. My friend has the same model, he had to do it at 80k miles. Both our cars consume oil. Brother has a 2017 pilot. 20k miles. All 6 fuel injectors had to be replaced. $2k if it was out of warranty. Thankfully it wasn't. This one is actually common in the 2016 pilots. From comfort standpoint my accord sucks. Anything longer than an hour or two kills. Very common complaint. Oh and my seat squeaks like crazy. If it were under warranty they would replace it. If I have to pay for it, it will be close to $1k.

Honda is skating on it name, what they are putting out are not as reliable as they used to be. Take a look at the link below. I have bought my last Honda. Toyota, Lexus, even Kia rate above honda. Personally I wouldn't buy a Subaru and that is rated high in this study. Every one I know of has had engine issues needing replacement of the engine under warranty and undercarriage rust issues.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/02/21/consumer-reports-best-cars-2019-subaru-toyota-dominate-top-picks/2936504002/

Another interesting one....

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/consumer-reports-2018-best-and-worst-car-brands-for-reliability-include-toyota-lexus-and-kia-1.14536765

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
We owned a 07 pilot and the only thing to go south was a power steering pump seal, It was a cheap and quick fix though. We were pretty happy with it overall, even with the bread box looking sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
The excessive oil consumption is a problem on a few models (including Pilots as well as the Honda model I have).

I was convinced for some time that my car was somehow leaking oil. It was not.

Honda has claimed that burning 1 quart per every 1,000 miles is within standard.... well, if you do the math and only check the oil/add more at the 10,000 mile oil change they recommend, you can absolutely run the engine dry. Obviously that’s a pretty sloppy way to take care of a vehicle when you log lots of miles, but hey..... lots of people don’t check oil levels anymore, apparently.

I’m not thrilled with the oil consumption, and if you look online you’ll find it’s a well acknowledged problem. However, the reliability and other merits of the manufacturer outweigh the worry over monitoring the oil level, for me. If the Pilot was on a different price tier when I was in the market, I would have chosen one for myself.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does anyone actually own a newer Pilot?

Other than Eddie's brother?

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
@WIBackpacker - what year is your car? I see a class action lawsuit for years 2009-2013 over the oil.
2014. There's been a lot of grumbling that it should have been 2009-2014 or -15. I was grumbling about this in the office a few weeks ago... My coworker with a 2016 Pilot said she does notice her car burns oil, but not to the extent mine does. She tops hers off before road trips, which is what I do.

ETA, my work vehicle is a Honda Element, which has never consumed an errant drop of oil in its entire life. So I don't think the problem is universal, and I'm definitely not a Honda-hater. :)

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really wish Toyota had not ruined the cargo space in all of their Subs. The only options left area the Pilot and Pathfinder for midsize.

·
Super Moderator
32,127 Posts
The Pathfinder has less cargo volume (79.5) than the Highlander. The Pilot is about the same - it has 83.9 cubic feet vs the Highlander's 83.7 with all the seats down. The rear bucket seats in the Highlander suck, I have the split bench 2nd row in mine.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Are you specifically looking at Honda Pilots for any reason? Price range or just aesthetics?

I'm currently driving my husband's Colorado while he's overseas, but will be looking for a mid/full size SUV once he comes back. The Explorer, Tahoe, Durango, Pilot and Grand Cherokee are on my lists to take a look at when the time comes.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Pathfinder has less cargo volume (79.5) than the Highlander. The Pilot is about the same - it has 83.9 cubic feet vs the Highlander's 83.7 with all the seats down. The rear bucket seats in the Highlander suck, I have the split bench 2nd row in mine.
I have been all over the back of these vehicles with a tape. The pathfinder does not have less usable space than the Highlander. The Highlander has significantly less usable space than the Pilot

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you specifically looking at Honda Pilots for any reason? Price range or just aesthetics?

I'm currently driving my husband's Colorado while he's overseas, but will be looking for a mid/full size SUV once he comes back. The Explorer, Tahoe, Durango, Pilot and Grand Cherokee are on my lists to take a look at when the time comes.
Yes, I"m asking about Pilots specifically. Only Pilots.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I like to be data-driven when making decisions about an expensive, depreciating asset like this. I build a spreadsheet when I'm looking at replacing a vehicle -- since you know how to do this, Michelle, my advice is come up with the factors you really care about (e.g., usable space) and put them in columns, and assign them a weight based on how much they matter. You've probably already done this! LOL

I feel like the numbers really do lead to more rational, less emotional decision making as long as you're prioritizing what really matters to you -- and that likely means less buyer's remorse.

For me, what mattered was IIHS safety scores (my most heavily weighted factor), gas mileage, reliability and depreciation, and once I looked at the numbers, the choice was very obvious and easy to make as one model really stood out as superior over all for what I wanted. I think prioritizing your "wants" also helps in really targeting your decision-making too.

The CR annual auto issue just came out on newstands (4/2019). Pick up a copy, or buy digital access for a few bucks -- it contains reliability for used model years, as well as reviews of the new ones. The digital access will also get you into back issues so that you can search to see the last full review of the Pilot that they did, if you don't already have a copy. The new Pilot is still recommended by CR (74/100), with average reliability and owner satisfaction. There's a lot of variation in reliability for other model years of the Pilot though (with some being average, and some above average), so if you're looking at a used one, you'll want to check CR's findings as to that particular year.

There are other SUVs rated by CR in the mid-to-high 80s (including the Highlander and Sorrento), and there's a new, large, 3-row SUV coming this year from Subaru (Ascent) which earned a whopping overall 96 from CR and is reviewed in the issue. Those will at least give you comparison metrics to judge the Pilot -- or at least to tell the dealer that you're using to judge the Pilot, to help to negotiate on price. ;)

There are good websites offering useful data on depreciation and cost of use too -- I especially like this one:
https://www.edmunds.com/honda/pilot/2019/cost-to-own/

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have a 2014 Pilot and I love it. It's very wide which is great. The reason I started with Pilots is because at the time (2011) they were the only SUV that fit 3 car seats across comfortably.

Gas mileage is great for what it is. I'm in outside sales and do a good 300 miles a week. I have gotten up to 26/27 MPG on long highway rolls. Around town usually 17/18 MPG. Choice of tires will affect that. I got slightly more agressive all seasons and am getting a little less. The stock tires are pretty much street tires.

I have a varigate set up, and with a divider is good for 2 full grown GSDs. I think because of the "contours" of the upper section it may be tough to put 2 airline crates. The heavy duty metal ones don't seem to be as tall though, and may fit. If you like I can try and put my friend's double metal crate in my back to see how it fits and take pics. I will tell you the anchors are not rated to hold the heavy metal crates in a bad wreck. That was the driving force between my getting the gate system. You can easily fit an airline crate in the 2nd row...so I feel safe saying 3 full grown GSDs and *maybe* 2 passengers would be doable.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

It is not as peppy as others in its class, however it moves just fine, even fully loaded. Hence the best gas milage in its class. Cant have it all I guess :)

This is the gate. I now have a sturdier interior gate, and I have a divider coming. Because I have a puppy coming :) I also added horse stall rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While I appreciate that people took the time to post extra information, I don't need advice on how to buy a car or do research. I'm asking for Honda Pilot owners to share their specific consumer experience in regards to the original post below.

Does anyone have one? Any major issues? Mileage? Gas Mileage?
Thank you to those that shared their personal experiences.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bit of an old thread now but... We have an 08 Pilot, as mentioned above the power steering seal went out as well. Followed by the power steering hose leak... The rear HVAC blower motor transistor also has failed and has been replaced. It has 140K on it and no other major issues than that. It's a really nice driver and I would recommend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts