German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Too funny! I sent Baby Bryon almost the exact same PM on Tuesday! My thoughts were exactly the same. The only thing on that list that is expensive IMO is the oil, of course I have not bought rice in awhile so..... I would have to go out and get a larger crock pot, but walmart priced about 40.00 for a 7qt. It would be worth it if this lasts a week and i can make it for $10.00 or under it would be less expensive and I would not have to drive 80 miles to get quality food!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I actually went and bought the ingredients and made this on Friday! Makes about 5 days worth of food. Dallas does love it, but I think I will and do recommend cooking the rice first as Dallas in now pooping rice! I also read a different thread that says to cook rice twice so it will be like mush! I do agree! Cost of ingredients in bulk for most of it was about $ 10.00 Kohl's also had a 7qt crock pot on sale for 18.99.

Now, further questions would be the longevity of this diet. Is this a short term diet or could it be served long term without any heath issues?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Calcium would come from egg w/shell as well as cottage cheese. Actually the cost was 10 for bulk items, could probably get 3 batches. I know it is an awful lot of grain. This is just a first time for me. I have been reading a lot over the weekend. I am going to have to go get a book. I really like the simplicity of the recipe and the fact it can be cooked in the crock pot. I would love more just like it. Different ingredients. Dallas seems to tolorate most things fairly well and he would much prefer this, rice and all, over comercial dog food any day of the week!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not to say Dallas is not worth it by any means, cost certainly does come into play. When quality dog food costs me 40 - 45 per month plus gas (80 miles rt) To go over that to the extreme would not be reasonable. I did go and p/u a couple of books that one included and will do some studying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.