German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone currently feeding homemade? I am currently feeding Evo and have been for the past year. All of the grain free foods just did a huge increase, around $60 a bag and between my 2 dogs 1 bag only lasts at most 3 weeks. I am just looking at some other options. I am not ready to do raw although down the road I may end up there. I'd like to start making their dog food, i've done some reading and found a few recipes. Just curious if there are any here that are making their dogs food. Any recipes or tips to share? My white shepherd kasey is a little over 2 years old and very high drive, it has been a challenge getting weight on her. She could still use a few more pounds in my opinion as her ribs are still visible. She gets 4-5 cups evo a day. My biggest concern is making sure I give her what she needs on a daily long term basis. The second dog is a lab mix of the same age and she is at her ideal weight and not nearly as active as kasey. Just curious as to what others are doing. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Dr. Pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats is a great resource for recipies and feeding!

sorry i dont have anymore advice than that! but it is a great book

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Half of Rafi's diet is homemade. I don't think I save any money because I buy him organic ingredients but he does best on homemade food.

I recommend both the Pitcairn book and Monica Segal's books. I also recommend buying a really large pot and cooking in big batches and freezing. When I was cooking for Basu and Chama I would make 10 days worth of a food at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts