German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 4 month old puppies. I have had them two weeks. They were on puppy kibble but I am changing their diet to homemade. I have been feeding cooked chicken, boiled egg with shell, green beans and rice. I want to do what is best for them and meet their nutritional needs but I will not feed commercial dog food. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
225 Posts
I second Jax. When puppies are growing it is extremely important to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need because this can effect them the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do y’all feel about the rendered meat that is in commercial dog food? My husband is a contractor and has been working at a plant that Renders meat for dog food. That’s my problem I know what it is and I really hate to feed that to my dogs but I don’t want to not meet their needs. I did go today and get Taste of the wild puppy food but I’m not happy about it. I will continue to research and I will contact a nutritionist for a consultation

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
How do y’all feel about the rendered meat that is in commercial dog food? My husband is a contractor and has been working at a plant that Renders meat for dog food. That’s my problem I know what it is and I really hate to feed that to my dogs but I don’t want to not meet their needs. I did go today and get Taste of the wild puppy food but I’m not happy about it. I will continue to research and I will contact a nutritionist for a consultation
I have been a raw feeder for over 7 years. BUT I know if kibble became my only option, for whatever reason, there are good kibbles on the market. My dog would be fine. What are they? I have no idea without doing the research.

But yeah, if you want to do homemade, it has to make sense & benefit the dog, especially a growing puppy. My dear MIL pretty much only feeds her tiny little dog cooked chicken, she thinks it’s great but he does not have any muscle and just appears like a weakling, that’s the only way I can describe it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I raw feed too, it's been over 13 years now. Dogs, cats and ferrets, they all do great. My latest dog to be raw fed is a Great Dane, I started from the day I brought her home and she transitioned wonderfully. Home cooking is possible but I know very little about it and from what I gather it requires more effort on your part to get it all right. For raw feeding there are different ways, but I follow prey model raw. Meat, bones and organs. Some people do veggies too, but I stopped that within the first year of switching to raw. The only thing I supplement with is fish oil.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Who says you have to feed rendered meal as an ingredient if you feed a balanced commercial diet? Not any more--you have more choices than in the past.

In addition to commercial frozen raw, look into the Honest Kitchen's dehydrated diets. THK has a couple of "all life stages" diets that are labeled as OK for puppies. It's made in a people-food certified plant, so they can't bring in feed-grade ingredients. The employees allegedly taste it coming off the line.

Also, there's a new kibble brand called Rawz that has no rendered meals. It's from a family with a sterling rep in the pet food industry. If I were looking for a kibble, it's the one that would be among my top contenders, in part because of the people behind it.

I totally agree that guessing wrong on a home cooked diet is not worth the risk. I think there's a blog post Monica did a while back analyzing several widely circulating Internet recipes for home cooked diets, and they were all lacking in some key micronutrients. That's scary.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I would recommend AGAINST feeding your puppies a home made diet unless you know what you are doing. Just look up "puppy unbalanced diets rickets" and you will see why it's a bad idea. Here is one such case. http://www.acvn.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ACVN-Case-Report-example-1-1.pdf

"Many homemade diets for dogs are deficient in minerals and have altered calcium phosphorus ratios. Therefore, a high-quality commercial food, or one designed by a credentialed veterinary nutritionist, is recommended." https://www.merckvetmanual.com/musculoskeletal-system/dystrophies-associated-with-calcium,-phosphorus,-and-vitamin-d/rickets

I second Monica Segal for a Puppy Consultation but can you honestly afford to feed two dogs a home cooked diet? I've been cooking for Nikki now for about 6 years and it's expensive.
https://www.monicasegal.com/Puppy_Consultation.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts