tea tree oil is toxic????!!!!! Oh no....I have used it on Stella for hot spots on and off. I got it at a pet shop that has lots of holistic stuff. It isn't 100% tea tree but now I will get rid of it.
When you get it there's a little thingy where you squeeze it up into the measuring area. It goes by weight so is easy to use. We use it once a day, yes, and pour it on the dog's kibble.Msvette2u and Cassidy's Mom,
Thanks for the tips! I already gave Igor 1 vitamin C tablet 500mg with rose hips just now but this Next Level Equine joint fluid seems to be a Godsend gift! Just read all the testimonies. Igor has hip dysplasia and has been on Cosequin DS as supplement. As I will need to order a replacement soon, I will try this Next Level.
By the instructions, I should give 1/2 oz for his 80 lbs. Is that once a day? Do you mix with the dry food?
As far as dry food, has anyone tried Welness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal for mature dogs? Do you recommend it? I am between that and Blue Lamb & Rice for adults (not for seniors).
I've used it on Jax before and I have a shampoo from a local groomer with tea tree oil in it. And you can use it on yourself so I certainly wouldn't throw it away.tea tree oil is toxic????!!!!! Oh no....I have used it on Stella for hot spots on and off. I got it at a pet shop that has lots of holistic stuff. It isn't 100% tea tree but now I will get rid of it.
I would probably lose it if I were allergic to potatoes.. I'm intolerant to milk and caffeine. Allergies are often life threatening whereas an intolerance is something that will make you ill or uncomfortable.Why not? My husband and daughter are allergic to peanuts. I had a doctor that was allergic to potatoes....how sucky would that be?! No french fries, hash browns, baked, mash, soup! LOL
As far as allergies...I often wonder what is a true allergy and what is an intolerance. Banshee (our 13 yr old) gets very gassy, to the point of panting and much discomfort, if she eats chicken but is fine with turkey and duck. It makes me wonder what is in our chicken that is causing so many issues with dogs.
I'm going to have to do some digging. We used tea-tree shampoo as well. I wouldn't marinate a dog in it.....but wonder of the toxicity is really in the ingestion, as previously stated.It can absorb and be toxic that way. With so many known safe items, why it with risk tea tree oil??
It can be absorbedI'm going to have to do some digging. We used tea-tree shampoo as well. I wouldn't marinate a dog in it.....but wonder of the toxicity is really in the ingestion, as previously stated.
Having said that....exactly how much TTO needs to be applied before it's toxic. Kind of like to much Vitamin E is toxic. There should only be a few drops in an entire bottle of shampoo.Australian tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) Oil Poisoning in three purebred cats.
Bischoff K, Guale F Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 10, 208 (1998)
Three Angora cats treated with undiluted tea tree oil dermal route. O. got it from a pet catalog sold as flea treatment. Within 5 hours, the first cat was hypothermic and uncoordinated, alert but unable to stand. Later that day, cat 2 was admitted comatose with severe hypothermia and dehydration. Cat 3 was conscious, nervous, trembling, and ataxic. All the cats smelled of tea tree oil. Cat 3 spent one day being treated and cat 1 spent two days being treated in the hospital but then both went home. Cat 2 died on the third day.
The article states: Tea tree oil contains 50-60% terpenes, toxicity is "similar to other essential oils such as eucalyptus oil." Toxicosis in humans has resulted from ingestion of 0.5 to 1 cc tea tree oil per kg of body weight. The 3 cats had about 20 ccs applied to them (each). Says cats may be more sensitive to this toxicosis than dogs, but that the tea tree oil toxicosis has been reported in humans, rats, dogs, and cats. Most patients have clinical signs of central nervous system depression. Dogs and cats with tea tree oil toxicosis will appear weak, obtunded, uncoordinated, ataxic, and usually have muscular tremors. Cats may exhibit signs of liver damage. Toxic components are fat soluble and rapidly absorbed via skin and GI tract. There is no antidote. Treatment involves general detoxification, supportive care, bathing with mild detergents, using activated charcoal if ingested.
Tea Tree oil is ok to use externally on dogs (NOT on cats). It is an ingredient in many shampoos, ear cleaners, hot spot sprays, etc. The important thing to remember is that, like many medications and drugs, a little bit can be medicinal, but too much is a poison.Something I've also seen recommended and is okay for humans but deadly to cats and dogs is TEA TREE OIL.