German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you pay more for home owners insurance because you own a GSD? I'm just curious because my mother-in-law (also my landlord) says its probably going to go up because we got Bella recently.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yes and no..only because i asked to have a added clause on dog bites because i own and foster dogs..that way if someone comes over and gets bit im a little more covered...i dont remember the exact numbers..but i think its like i have an extra $100,000 and it costs me maybe a extra $30 or 40 a year

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes and no..only because i asked to have a added clause on dog bites because i own and foster dogs..that way if someone comes over and gets bit im a little more covered...i dont remember the exact numbers..but i think its like i have an extra $100,000 and it costs me maybe a extra $30 or 40 a year
On that note, am I liable if someone breaks in my house one day, and Bella bites them? Or is it like If I shot them myself? (not liable)

·
Registered
646 Posts
ive heard of it happening..although i cant say if its true or not...in my case i asked for it mainly for my fosters...what if i had a foster and a adopter came by and for some odd reason the foster bit them...or if the oil man came without telling me and my dogs were out back im pretty sure he would get bit...for me it was just piece of mind...i do know of alot of places that will not rent to you if you own a GSD

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I really don't like how liability for dogs is handled over here. In Germany I had a special liability insurance just for dogs. I was insured for about 10 MILLION EUROS and paid like 10 Euros a month for the coverage. Over here, you pay around a 100 dollars per month and you are insured for ridiculous 100 000 dollars....through renters or homeowners.

I never had to use my liability insurance but it's just giving you peace of mind to have it, in case something does happen.

I know I could get it through the SV again but I have to find out if they even insure me since I am a resident in the US now. :/

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
wyominggrandma....not true. Especially in Texas.

My step dad is a lawyer in houston and one type of case he handles is dog bite cases...he works for the insurance companies.

Any dog bite off leash/ at a dog park/ loose dog/ biting a guest at the home IS going to cause you to lose.

However, he had a recent case where someone broke into the home and went into the kids room where the pitbull slept, and the dog bit him and he had to get stitches in his leg....clear cut, no ifs and or buts, the owners were not liable in any way.

But, if someone reaches over your fence and gets their hand bit, you can be liable. (they could argue you knew your dog could bite and you knew a person could reach over the fence but you did nothing to stop it)

Each case is completely different. My step dad always says the worse thing you can do in law is ASSUME.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Meter men and lawn men getting bit will also cause you to lose.....because the dog should know a clear threat vs an innocent person....and if it doesn't it shouldn't be left in the backyard unattended.

Now if the meter man came at an unscheduled time and had to jump the fence to get in your backyard, the lawsuit completely changes.

It varies state by state also. Texas is the least likely place you will lose if your dog bites an intruder (not guest)

·
Registered
230 Posts
My grandparents went up because they had a rottweiler. When my parents first bought our house we had a rottweiler. They asked if we had any dogs and if so what breeds. We said we had no dog. The three months our rottweiler went back to my grandparents because he couldn't deal with living in town. Our insurance would have went up if we said we had a rottweiler. My cousins also went up because he has 2 pit bulls.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In reference to the signs, some places require them, some places if you put them up you are admitting you have a "bad" dog. It depends on your local ordinances. Some places your dog actually has to bite someone for it to be considered an attack, some places all they have to do is jump up and scratch someone for it to be considered an attack. The later is the case in one of the areas we work, and I am really really careful when we do demos to keep an eye on people approaching the dogs. The dogs are very social, but quite often people are not and do REALLY stupid things.

Our insurance company never asked, but when I was looking around for quotes, there were several that had online information surveys, and after the dog section a screen came up that said something like 'sorry we can't insure you'. Liberty Mutual had a nice long list of "dangerous" dogs.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
State Farm is usually good (though we dumped them after they dumped my parents who were in FL at the time with 30+ years of no claims and in a sturdy home that survived several cat 3 hurricanes with no problems). We have Travelers and that is good. I am always up front that I have German Shepherds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I changed companies I was honest when they asked if I had a dog and according to my agent, GSD's and PB's have a bad rap and they charged more. When I got my new little guy my breeder said that if I work from home he can be considered as business deduction in security but I haven't said anything to the agent yet

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Guess it depends on where you are and the insurance company. I dropped one after having them for years and years, when all of a sudden they said, "get rid of your dogs or your insurance is going up sky high"..They continue to bug me to come back to them, but no way.

The insurance I switched to, asked what if any breeds of dogs I have, and it hasn't been an issue on the breeds.

Here, if someone is breaking into my house and a dog nails them, the dog is not going to be held responsible.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have USAA and there is nothing about dangerous pets listed in the homeowners policy. Infact, just looking over it, the only mention of animals is that it covers damage caused my animals in your care.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Do you pay more for home owners insurance because you own a GSD? I'm just curious because my mother-in-law (also my landlord) says its probably going to go up because we got Bella recently.
Yes, I pay I think $50 more per year, per GSD. However we use a small local company that only insures educators so we get such a good rate (on home and auto) that it's still cheaper than using a bigger name company with much less coverage and higher deductible. The company we use has added charges for any sort of "risk", they aren't singling out GSDs (for example a trampoline, a pool, certain types of fencing, certain house materials, a boat, an ATV on the property, etc). I think we pay about $650 a year for the home and $75/mo for two vehicles.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have Travelers through Geico, they have both dogs listed. When we changed to them from the previous company, our rate actually dropped a couple hundred per year.

As far as signs, we have 'Dog on Premises' posted on all 4 sides of fence. My understanding is the 'Beware of Dog' opens you up to further liability because it refers to you believing you have a dangerous dog. That is just going by what the guy said that came out to do the inspection when we changed ins company. He did pictures of the sign and measured the fence etc.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
We have USAA and they dont have any problems with the dogs. The animals are covered. I have a 'Dog on Premisis' sign in my front door. That way people know the dogs are here but thats all it says. Its not a Beware of Dog sign which can be used as a "YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A DANGEROUS DOG!" Its very simple and to the point. My dogs are here. All you need to know. BUT from everything i've read on the ordinances in my area and back home, if someone breaks into my home and my dogs go after them, theres nothing the intruder can do to me for it because HE was trespassing and not an invited guest. It really depends on where you are. Back home we have the Make My Day law. Basically if someone breaks into my house and I shoot them, I was legally allowed to do so because I felt my life was in danger from the intruder. The basic idea if the same if my dog goes after an intruder.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts