German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just curious as to what home insurance everyone has here with GSDs in the house?

Reason for asking is that I was talking to my insurance agent about shopping around for cheaper options. He told me that I'm grandfathered into a plan with some company whose name I don't recall and they didn't have any aggressive breed exclusion originally. Now that company and all others that he sells do not write policies if you have agressive breed dog.

Now that maybe just the companies he deals with. He doesn't sell policies for mainstream agencies like State Farm, Farmers, Nationwide.

GSD is a common breed and I'm sure there should be alot of insurance companies that don't discriminate.

I need to start looking into those.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am with Progressive and whoever they have for homeowner's currently as the bundle (they changed underwriting on us about 5 months ago). Anything a canine in the home does is exempted from coverage. Not sure I like this provision even if I am diligent in making sure my dog has no opportunity for an encounter. They had never asked prior if there were dogs in the home, nor what kind. Its all in hubby's name and he has declined to shop it around.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Liberty Mutual generally doesn't have breed restrictions as long as no bite history. Allstate and State Farm vary by state as to whether they do.

USAA also doesn't have breed restrictions but you need some military connection to be eligible...but that could be a father or even grandfather who served in WWII, Korea or Vietnam! They're fabulous, so it's worth asking a family member who served to dig out paperwork for you.

@Hellish, you can get a canine liability policy for about $300-ish per year. I've got a friend who had to do that. It's not ideal, but it's better than not being covered!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just checked and my current insurance is through National General. I called Geico and their providers don't have any dog exclusions. They gave me a quote with SageSure

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
We are also with Progressive and the underwriter just changed. We just received notice on the house we're selling that the policy will be cancelled 05-01-19 due to the German Shepherds. Our closing is planned before then but this was out of the blue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are also with Progressive and the underwriter just changed. We just received notice on the house we're selling that the policy will be cancelled 05-01-19 due to the German Shepherds. Our closing is planned before then but this was out of the blue.
That is crazy especially on an existing policy. You would think they would grandfather you in.

This just doesn't make sense. These insurance companies should worry more about stupid aggressive people and not dogs

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
There have been several threads about home owners insurance in the past. Info is often conflicting. Some will say insurance company ABC doesn't have breed restrictions and others will say they do. The truth is it is not only the insurance company but the state you live in that matters. Every state has different regulations. So say State Farm doesn't have breed restrictions in Massachusetts but they do in Arizona for example. The best and only way to find out is to call/inquire to insurance agencies in you area.
Personal experience: People on this forum have stated that Nationwide/State Farm do not have breed restrictions. I know for a fact they do in the state I live in as I inquired anonymously and was told they do not cover aggressive breeds outright. The only option would be to have a liability rider policy to cover an aggressive dog breed at an exorbitant price.
Do your homework when it comes to liability insurance. The only reliable source is the insurance companies in your location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts