German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeager is 6 months and 3 weeks now,,,he is about 85 LBS. I tried feeding Jeager dry dog food ( Purina pro one ) when he was just a wee pup,,,he turned his nose up at it , So I started cooking his meals in our slow cooker,,,boneless/skinless chicken breasts,,,boneless pork chops,,,steak,,,beans,,,spuds,,,carrots and some long grain rice added in the mix,,,Jeager loves it. Have I been a bad dad by feeding him this stew? I also add one raw egg in his bowl once a week ( sunday morning ) . Jeager is not fat,,,but big boned,,he is a happy monster ...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Where is the calcium in this diet? I would be very concerned about the calcium/phosphorus ratio in this diet since all of the meats are boneless. Obviously, you don't want to cook bones and then feed them to your dog, but raw meaty bones are great to give to your dogs.

If you don't want to go into that I suggest you supplement his diet with a higher quality kibble like Blue Buffalo Wilderness, or Orijen. He needs more in his diet.

Good luck and let me know if I can help more!

Laura

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Home cooking is great. An easy source of calcium is ground up eggshell powder. You can save your eggshells, wash them out, bake them for 15 minutes at 325 degrees and then grind them up to a very fine powder in a blender. If you tell me the total amount you're cooking I can figure out how much eggshell powder to add.

I also use organic veggies in my dogs' food. Sweet potatoes, kale and carrots are pretty much staples in Rafi's diet. I also use squash in the winter.

And you're using long grain brown rice, I assume? It's much more nutritional than white rice. You can vary the grains as well: millet, oats, quinoa are all grains that I use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello BowWowMeow....I add 2 cans of carrots,,,2 cans of beans...1 can of spuds...at the most 1 pound of chicken,,,chops and steak,,,our slow cooker isn't that larger so I make up 3-4 batches a week. Yes , I do use brown rice. I will cook the egg shells and start adding them in aswell. Thanks for the info.
My wife had a local artist display her drawings a few weeks ago in her store. I had mentioned to my wife I would love to have a pic of Jeager done, well , my wife had one done,,,turned out very nice. All you need is a photo for the artist to copy,,,I will take a pic of to drawing and post it on this website,,,this young lady is amazing with a pencil...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts