German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take Chief in to the vet at the end of the month for his bordetella shot and I figured I would get him microchipped. It is is 50 for the chip, but im a bit confused. I read somewhere that people have got the microchip and payed for it then they found out their pet want registered in the system doing the chip no good, but then to register them with the HA you had to pay an additional 17 to get it registered and this website I am posting the number 4 has me completely confused and lastly what good really is the annual fee do I have to pay that for the chip to be of use and what will the annual fee do for me?

Here's the website with the number 4 that has me so confused
Microchips For Pets | What Is Microchipping | Pet Microchip

·
Registered
170 Posts
After the first year you do not have to pay an annual fee. You can if you want better access to the site and extended help if your pet is lost.
Without renewing the membership your dogs chip is still in the system and it will still work if he is scanned after he ends up missing.
I paid for the first year and nothing after that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
$50 seems like a lot to get the chip, unless they're going to take care of the registration and the $50 goes toward the first time fee as well.

I paid $17 to have Ozzy chipped (I had it done by the county shelter at a huge dog event) and they took care of the registration. Same with my cat (though I took him straight to the shelter to have it done).

I don't remember if I had to pay the one-time fee or if the $17 I paid the shelter took care of that, but I can log into my account and change any info if I need to do so. You can log on, add pictures, add descriptions, change pictures, contact info, etc. You do not need to pay the fee yearly for this. Once you pay the fee, you get access to this forever.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They other vet I went to was 50 to. I will have to find out if that covers registration or not. I really just don't understand what that number 4 on that link I posted means. Is the yearly fee worth it?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I don't quite know what #4 on there is saying either, but I just found out what our local shelter uses (it's the 2nd largest shelter in the US) and went from there.

Also on one of his tags, I made sure to put HOME AGAIN MICROCHIP, along with his microchip number and the HA hotline.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to order him a collar from sexy beast dog collar and I am going two get his name on one square plate then I am going to get a diamond plate that says microchipped by home again then another diamond plate on the other side with phone numbers. He has his name tag with all his information rabies tag and dog park license on him, but I figures the others would be good tone plated on to his collar and be chipped that way I am taking all measure possible even though he listens really really well now you never know. I think home again is pretty popular, so I think they would defiantly check there and if its plated on his collar that he is chipped and plated my phone numbers. Then where's a better chance he would get back to me

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got done with the vet Chief did fantastic!!! I am so surprised at how well he did compared to last time. He was still muzzled, but he didn't flip out or anything he just sat there and got his shots and his microchip and we were done. He is 85lbs and the vet thinks it's a perfect weight said he looks fantastic. Asked if I exercised him a lot because he looked very fit and had good muscle. I took him to the dog park before the vet. The microchip was $56 and they do the registration and everything and even told me about the yearly fee, but said they didn't think it was necessary, but I could renew if I wanted. I am so surprised at how well he did! What a good boy!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
That's kind of pricey. Here in Nevada if you live in Washoe county it is free from the humane society. If you live out of the area it's like $13.00. Lyon county is either 5 or 7 I can't remember and even my local vet only charges $25. That is with the first year registration.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like everywhere I asked it was 50 at least, plus a lot said I would have to pay 17 for the registration. It's done and paid for at least now my boy is chipped and they did scan him so I could see that it worked and I'm glad they take care of registering it and now he has a Home again Tag.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea they said they would try to get to the registering today but may be Monday, but I'll check then and add anything and definitely get a photo on there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They got him on there I updated his photo and information. He is all good to go.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I have a HA microchip. You only are required to pay the $17 fee when they first activate the chip, which you've already done -- definitely upload a photo as others have suggested and alternate contact info beyond what your vet already uploaded.

Next year, your registration will remain active, even if you don't pay the $17 again. It's there forever.

However, you have the OPTION to pay the $17 for "premium" membership when you renew, if you choose -- it won't affect your chip registration if you decide not to pay it.

The one big benefit of "premium" (and you now already have this service for a year) is unlimited, free phone access to the Home Again emergency veterinarian help line. If your dog swallows something weird and you aren't sure if it's poisonous at 3 A.M. on a Saturday night, just call them. They have a board-certified vet on duty 24/7, and access to the ASPCA Poison Control database. (It usually costs $60 to call ASPCA's animal poison control line, so if you make even one call, the membership more than paid for itself.)

If you are ever on the fence about whether to go to the emergency vet for any reason, you can just call and talk to the Home Again vet for advice in making that decision. I've used this service several times and love it.

Since you have the service for a year, put the number on your fridge, along with your pet's microchip number: 1 888 HOMEAGAIN (1 888 466 3242) and hit prompt 2 to speak with a licensed ASPCA veterinarian in a pet medical emergency.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you!! I do have the number and chip number on my fridge already. I filled out the paper with my cell number then emergency contact with two numbers. However I see on option on the website to change anything like that the only thing I did was put in his breed, sex,weight, primary and secondary color, age and another distinguishing things about him, but didn't see anything to add or update my personal information.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
didn't see anything to add or update my personal information.
On the left, there's a bar along the side. Click "manage my account," then "manage my contact information." They take up to 3 phone numbers AND allow you to add info for a second person as an alternate contact (spouse/partner, family member, etc.).

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ohhhh!!! Thank You very much I didnt even see that. It's all blank thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts