German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got both dogs microchipped at my vet. They use the Home Again system. I was on the website enrolling the dogs and it said there was an annual fee for the membership so $30/year. Now I was told it was one fee for lifetime enrollment. Do all microchips charge an annual fee? Not that we won't pay it of course, I just don't like being told something will cost one thing and then find out there's added on expenses.

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
If you enroll them with the AKC CAR (Companion Animal Recovery) there is a onetime fee: http://www.akccar.org/ There are additional services you can order, but the basic lifetime registry is $17.50. I like the metal tags, I always order one of those because the plastic tags that are provided don't hold up that well over time. The ink get blurry and hard to read.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Don't pay the annual fee unless you want the extras it provides. They will send you e-mails and snail mails to get you to pay the annual. Your dogs will be in the database for life without paying an annual fee. Just be sure to update the info, it is only as good as what you put into it for your dogs to be returned if something happened to them. So if you are putting a pup in the description it won't update automatically. Pups coloring and of course, weight changes, so picture and description updates are important.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the Home Again? What extras? I like the idea of having the medical insurance (where they pay medical costs if your pet is injured/sick while lost).

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
KC, not sure if your question was directed at me or Jane - I have a Home Again chip, but I registered it with ACK CAR rather than through the Home Again website.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Ours have RES Q (even the cat; Cheddar)
It's a flat one time fee (($25.00 , I think)) and they have a system that uses the US Postal service for address changes so if you change your address, the US Post will contact them. They in turn contact you via snail mail and ask if the address change should be made in their records.

I am unaware that some have "extra services" What might they include, I wonder??

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I have home-again and AVID chips in my dogs. I don't pay for the emergency care. I would look really closely if you decide to go that route, be sure you know what is covered in case of an emergency. The website has the info and answers to your questions. http://public.homeagain.com/ourservices.html With any pet health insurance, read the fine print. My opinion is to put the fee the insurance co. charges into a savings acct for your dog. When you need care,at least you'll have a cushion for the payment. Many things are not covered, and you'll be out the $$ and insurance co will be the only one benefitting.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the upgraded service includes things like the previously mentioned insurance (that is only good if injuries happen while they are reportedly lost), posters and contacting the local area if you dog goes missing.
I do know that the free service comes with lifetime enrollment and you can get 2 cards for you keychain that have a phtoo of your pet and it's microchip number.
I never opted for anything over the free service, it didn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: PrizeI think the upgraded service includes things like the previously mentioned insurance (that is only good if injuries happen while they are reportedly lost)
That was what got me, that it only covers if you have proof they were lost. How do you prove that? I didn't know you could register a certain chip with another company, that's a good idea.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have several types of microchips for my pets...
Most of my cats have AVID chips except the Maine Coon has Home Again. My GSD Bianca has a ResQ chip and I also registered both her microchip and tattoo# with AKC CAR. My previous dogs both had AVID.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright that's awesome, I didn't know you could register a chip with multiple companies. I just assumed since it was a Home Again chip, I was confined to their company. I'm going to look more into enrolling with AKC CAR.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yes, you can register with multiple companies. There is another one that offers free registration for any type of microchips: 24PetWatch.

I think Home Again might also register other brands of microchips as well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts