German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anneliese has just turned 4 months old, she's my "rescue" pup that I took in from the vet's office where I work....
I saw the parents...not overly large...
But she weighed in @ 38 lbs.( and she's nice and lean)..and has paws like oven mitts.....she's about 21 inches @ the shoulder......
I'm afraid she's going to dwarf my German line 73 lb male and the 70 lb rescue female I have....
I'm off to get another digital camera..(so I can post a pic)..I'd like opinions as to how big she may get....

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Some folks figure at 4 months, they are roughly half of their adult weight. If that is true in her case, she would end up approximately 76lbs. Not enough of a weight difference to "dwarf" your other 2 dogs.

Also keep in mind that some dogs are "fast growers" as in they reach their adult size youger than others.

If her parents weren't "overly large" chances are she won't be either. (Of course there are exceptions.)

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
My vet used Dena's 4 month weight to estimate she'd be 85 to 90 pounds at 18 months old. She'll be 4 in mid-September, and has never weighed more than 76 pounds. I think she's actually a couple of pounds less than that right now.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My vet told me something along the same lines when it came to Molly. At 4 months old she was around 40 lbs. He told me to double that and that would be what she would weigh as an adult. Molly has not weighed more than 72 lbs and stays pretty steady at 70 lbs and she will be 4 this year.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I said "ROUGHLY".
My point being, since the puppy weighs 38 lbs at 4 months, she "probably" isn't going to be some huge "monster" as an adult.
I had a male that weighed 45 lbs at 4 months. As an adult he weighed 99lbs at his "ideal" weight.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everybody, this is a relief, because Aksel was something like 32 lbs when he was this age...and his paws seemed smaller too..
So I was a little worried
Maybe she will just "level" out and be average size......

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That would make my 6 month old KC small! lol She is only 39 lbs right now and 22 inches. She has dainty girl paws. The boys on the other hand have huge paws and are slightly smaller at 5 months.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Morgan at 6 months looked like she was going to be HUGE - she was 21", 45 lbs, had huge feet and thick legs. Now, she's 24" but with a very slender build and dainty girl feet, everyone says she's small.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts