German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's been a long time since I had a dog spayed. I almost fell out of my chair when I just made Layla's appointment. WTH?! Are they going to serve her caviar as a post-op meal?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Wowza!

I hear you though, they want to charge me $350 to spay my kitten! :eek:

·
5,627 Posts
I don't remember what it cost to get Raven spayed... it was included with her Wellness plan.

It cost me about $300 to get Kaiser neutered.

When I had to get my cats neutered and spayed, I called around and got them both done for the cost that our vet up until then wanted just to spay the female. Lots of places have low cost clinics. I think $200-400 for a spay is pretty typical.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
It is expensive. For those that might be interested some Shelters offer low cost spay/neuter programs. Here in Northern California we actually have a Van sponsored by the SPCA that comes by from time to time and offers no charge spay/neuters. My youngest boy, Eli, was neutered by them.

Rosa

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Lots of places have low cost clinics.
I personally have not had good experiences with low-cost clinics. When I lived in Austin my foster dogs were spayed and neutered at a vet clinic that did the work for their cost for the rescue. When I moved to Dallas I had to start using low-cost clinics. The dogs had noticeably more pain and longer recovery times than they did when we were using the vet clinics.

·
5,627 Posts
I personally have not had good experiences with low-cost clinics. When I lived in Austin my foster dogs were spayed and neutered at a vet clinic that did the work for their cost for the rescue. When I moved to Dallas I had to start using low-cost clinics. The dogs had noticeably more pain and longer recovery times than they did when we were using the vet clinics.
I wouldn't do it either for a spay/neuter but it's available. Where I live there are also coupon programs where you go to a regular vet with a discount coupon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well... I was going to wait 'til Kali was 2 before I had her spayed. BUT, she came down with Pyometra at 18 months, and a visit to the E-Vet and a bill for $2k+... uh...
I wish I only had a $300 spay to do...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I got Zeb neutered with a voucher from the humane society. I went there, pay THEM $60 for the voucher and then set up an appointment with 1 of 15 vets that accept them. They treated him just as well as if I had paid the full $$$. Best part was his usual vet was on the list! My cat was spayed at the humane society ANImobile for a "donation" of $40.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
It cost me $350 for Keeta - I had a voucher from the Shelter (worth about 150 if I remember right). There was extra costs for a "large dog spay", and I had her tattooed, and updated on shots, all in one.

Since I had adopted Keeta the shelter has opened a low-cost clinic - haven't heard anything bad about them, and according to the latest stats, having the low cost clinic available has halved the unwanted dogs cats that the shelter normaly deals with.

·
Registered
330 Posts
according to the latest stats, having the low cost clinic available has halved the unwanted dogs cats that the shelter normaly deals with.
Glad to hear that! I know it helped us out greatly and they were awesome. I was worried, but they were super good.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The price they gave me for Brewski who is 83lbs and 16 mths is $325 tx included and that is a neuter, boosters and chip. I know here the price depends on the weight of the GSD !
Brewski is not neutered yet vet recommended to wait for him to mature a little more, but the quote is good for a year!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
1 1/2 years ago, my female lab was spayed at our regular vet $130. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yes, it's been a long time since I had a dog spayed. I almost fell out of my chair when I just made Layla's appointment. WTH?! Are they going to serve her caviar as a post-op meal?
Don't know if this will help or not but these sites claim to help with costs of spay/neuter:

VOLUSIA COUNTY
Pet Vet Cruiser
Un-incorporated Volusia COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY
Tel. 386.323.3575 Daytona Beach
Tel. 386.626.6643 Deland
Tel. 386.424.6875 New Smyrna Beach
http://volusia.org/animalcontrol/cruiser.htm
Cats Female/Spay*: $5-20-35 Male/Neuter*: $5-15-20
Dogs Female/Spay*: $5-25-45-55-65 Male/Neuter*: $ 5-20-35-50-55
*Income based, reduced fee spay/neuter services-for eligibility details visiit http://volusia.org/animalcontrol/Pet%20Vet%20Cruiser%20Eligibility1.pdf . Bookings are done with 1 month in advanced.

ARNI (Animal Rescue, Need & Intervention)
Daytona Beach FL
386-267-0277

Web: www.arnifoundation.org
Halifax Humane Society
2364 W. LPGA Blvd
PO Box 9035
Daytona Beach, FL 32120
386-274-4703

Central Florida
Seminole and Volusia Counties both have spay-neuter rebate programs of $25 per animal. Seminole County (407)330-9523. Volusia County (904)943-7895. Orange County has several low-cost spay/neuter clinics (407)254-9150.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm expecting it to be around $300 to have Shasta spayed. Our local spay/neuter clinic won't take dogs over 50 pounds. Shasta hasn't been under 50 pounds since she was 4.5 months old.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, my vet they only charge 185.. If you are low-income you can get free or low cost.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank was $300 including the microchip for his neuter, our vet has a check off list where you can pick what you want and do not want, I went the whole 9 yards with Frank lab work, IV fluids, pain meds, laser, etc, basic neuter without all that is about $80-$100
I only do the basice neuter/spay with the feral cats that come to our barn and they do well with that so I guess if you wanted to save money you wouldn't have to have everything for the dogs.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Around here you can get a spay for less. I am not comfortable with it and want the monitoring and meds I get with the 200.00 spay.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts