German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boys is in emerg tonight. We went for our usual dinner time run and it ended badly and very strange.

Today was about 22 degrees, not a hot day. I took both boys out at the same time, which meant no ball throwing, they just carry their own balls and run themselves. (If I throw the ball with the two of them, they're too competitive and fight... but if they both have their own ball, they're chums and run at their own pace.) After about 25/30 minutes, our usual time, I noticed Holtz not wanting to carry his ball. Very strange as he always carries all the back into his crate.

The symtoms started like this:
-His Back end not working, he'd drag the top of his feet on the ground and not pick up his feet, cross over like a curtsey
-panting over excessively
-very wobbly and uneasy
-starting to look roach (he's very square, blocky dog)
(He's a Czech 1.5 yr open male Ring Sport dog, never been sick a day in his life - this dog doesn't walk anywhere - he LEAPS AND BOUNDS everywhere.. he's a very happy jumpy drivey guy)

By the time I got him to the vet:
-his tempurature was 104
-puplis dialated and NOT responding to light,
-vomiting lots
-lots of diareah
-not dehydrated from what we could tell from his gums
-was walking but very wobbly
-not legthargic, still alert, but physically tired.

Vet thinks possiblities are heat stroke... (which is weird because I've worked him harder and longer in hotter temperatures and we do this walk/run 5 days per week! and 30 mins really isn't that long!) poison, possible start of bloat but unlikey... obstuction of some sort or illness from raw food or raw bone like saminilla or something, heart issues thinking that his heart isn't pumping blood effeciently through his body and causing the wobblyness. Doesn't really help me much, all pretty open.

We're doing x-rays, blood work, ECG on his heart, fluids. Pray for him he'll be ok.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Dear Holtz~ Get better quickly, please, hugs to mom and healing prayers are on the way for you.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Oh my goodness! My thoughts and prayers are with you and Holtz.
Please let us know!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... just finished up having a breakdown after Otto came and licked my face and nugged me, then laid at my feet.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Re: Holtz is in emerg... think positive thoughts..

I hope Holtz is ok. Fingers and paws crossed her for him.

My first thought was poison when I read the symptoms.

When will you get an update?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Everyone here has their fingers and paws crossed for Holtz. I'm sure everyone at Julies has theirs crossed too. I was talking to her on the phone when I saw this post.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

The boys and I are keeping Holtz in our prayers.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts

Originally Posted By: Nat
Originally Posted By: Barb E.*Fingers and paws crossed in the E house for good news*
Same here.
All members of Team Camper are saying prayers for a quick diagnosis and a super speedy recovery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, it's still all very strange.... Good news is, is that his temperature has dropped a degree and a half with the meds and fluids.

Bad news is:
Blood work came back with a very LOW white cell and platelet count, this can be caused by long term infection or something more serious like leukemia. (?) (so I'm told) I don't believe that he has leukemia.. that makes no sense. But many of his symptoms today, match symptoms of the cancer, but they're the same symptoms that match many other things.

The bloodwork also came back with poor functioning kidneys. Which could be poisoning of some sort, infection OR possible pancreatic issues, which some of his symptoms match too, and much more common with our beloved breed. He lost his appetite this week on two meals (he eats like every meal is his last) and I thought 'strange...' but everything else was normal... so we carried on.

So, I'll have to take him to my regular vet tomorrow and talk to them more specifically about our plan of action, I guess we'll be doing more blood work, and trying to rule out what on earth is happening to my poor guy.

All I want to do is bring him home and put him in my bed and take care of him. And I can't. Not today.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Could he have tick fever? I don't know where you are located, but some of the symptoms fit with tick fever. I would suspect this if your dogs go in areas where there may be ticks.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts

Well, he's stable for now, and that's a good thing. One step at a time, even though he can't come home to your arms.

I've been poking around the usual medical/veterinary websites that I visit when we have something unusual pop up. The combination of low WBC and platelets and kidneys issues is actually a pretty unusual combination.

Does Holtz ever chew on anything like plants, wood or anything like that? What food does he eat? Does he eat beef (or other large animal) liver? Do you give him supplements like kelp, algae, etc? Does he like to pick up things and play with them, like buttons or pennies or similar? Do you garden? How old is your home? Is there heavy industry around your home?

I'm still poking around, but this will get me started. We might get a few ideas to toss at your vet while you wait for all the test results to come back in.

·
Registered
606 Posts

good luck and best wishes for a speedy diagnosis and recover Holtz.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

Did they do x-rays too? Very strange symptom combo. The fact that he lost his appetite earlier in the week leads away from poison unless it was a slow poisoning (something in the environment that built up in his system). There could also be more than one thing going on.

I hope he continues to improve and that the vets figure out quickly what's going on!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts