German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frodo absolutely loves this food and he's been on it (duck formula) for almost 3 weeks. The only problem is that he's begun itching and licking/chewing at his paws. He's never had this problem before. Does anyone feed this brand and or had this problem. Is there a certain ingredient that could be causing it?

Duck Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Carrots, Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Organic Quinoa, Apples, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin], Minerals [Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese and Copper, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Inulin, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus licheniformis, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger Fermentation Products, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative).

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Could be any of those 100 ingredients. What was he eating before? I would think the diet plays into his itching more than environment this time of year where you live.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've been thru a lot of foods, tried grain free but he doesn't do well on them. This is the only food that he has ever taking a liking to, thats why I hate to switch.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
have you tried raw?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've thought about it, just not there yet.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Have you tried a LID like Natural Balance or California Natural? The CN grain free formulas would be good to try if you haven't.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may have to look into Natural Balance. He has never really liked or done well on grain free. The Holistic Select is the 1st food he's ever gone crazy for, and its taken 3 years to find it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've used Holistic Selects for quite awhile and was extremely pleased with the results. Have you used the other flavors with the same problem or is it just this one that is causing issues?

I am also a HUGE fan of the California Natural - we've used that with great success too (I rotate here so we've used numerous).

I just am transitioning off the Natural Balance - turns out Madix doesn't do so well on grain free either - he gained weight on VERY little food and I am not comfortable with that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The duck is the only Holistic Select food we've tried. He's had duck before(by nature brand) and never did the paw licking/biting, so I dont think its the duck protein causing it. I already have a 15lb bag of the chicken formula that I'm about to start so we'll see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've noticed that Holistic Select is the only food that he's ever had that contains DRIED BEET PULP. I wonder if that's an ingredient thats known to cause allergies.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I've noticed that Holistic Select is the only food that he's ever had that contains DRIED BEET PULP. I wonder if that's an ingredient thats known to cause allergies.
I doubt it. That is another internet myth. I was going to say the alfalfa in it.

When does the dog lick its feet? Right after eating? Is the dog drinking more than usual?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Sable anything can cause allergies. If the dogs had foods with the other ingredients and never had a problem until what do you know...Beet pulp shows up, it IS very possible that could be the problem. It's not a "myth". Though I'm sure you think the peanut allergy is a myth too? Made up by crazy people?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He'll lick anytime, although a little more within an hour of eating. He also seems to have a little more output than on previous foods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts