German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who's read enough of my posts knows that I rarely give advice or judge others. If an OP asks for advice, I generally just tell them what worked for me and share what I've learned from my mistakes and more often than not pass on good advice from experienced people that I should have taken hoping it helps them. :)

With that said..I spent the night at my friend's house last night. She rescued the sweetest cutest little pitt boxer mix puppy about a year ago. He's only 60 lbs so when he jumps on me as soon as I walk in the door it doesn't phase me much but I can see how it could be problematic for others. The dog ran away 3 times within 24 hours. The second time he ran away when she let him back in, he quickly jumped up grabbed food off of her plate, ran in a circle and jumped up on the couch next to me to get some love. She addressed the issue by showing him his box of treats and not giving him one. I said nothing. I didn't even know where to begin.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok there's more to the story. People think my dogs are spoiled and untrained because they are always a part of everything. This particular friend thinks Mac is untrained because he herds us when we're outside and its hard for me to get him to stop. Our dogs come and go inside and outside because they are at our sides. Could we make our dogs lay down and stay out of the way? Yeah. We don't wanna. Thats how we live.

So it was a tad difficult to hold my tongue LOL

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Congrats on holding your tongue :) Your story reminds me of the time I had a friend over with her dog. We were sitting on the couch, with glasses of wine on the coffee table, when her dog jumped from the middle of the room, flew over the table, and landed on the back of my couch. Of course, spilling the wine, sigh. I wasn't as good, lol.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Congrats on holding your tongue :) Your story reminds me of the time I had a friend over with her dog. We were sitting on the couch, with glasses of wine on the coffee table, when her dog jumped from the middle of the room, flew over the table, and landed on the back of my couch. Of course, spilling the wine, sigh. I wasn't as good, lol.
I'm betting it wasn't a GSD :D

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I am surprised I have a tongue left, for all the biting it that I do, every single day at work. Most of my grooming clients are great, but a few of them are just... oh, I'm biting my tongue right now. :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am surprised I have a tongue left, for all the biting it that I do, every single day at work. Most of my grooming clients are great, but a few of them are just... oh, I'm biting my tongue right now. :)
I bet you see a lot as a groomer.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya know a lot of people have dogs and in general dogs just lay there. Those of us who's dogs interact and are a part of everything shouldn't be told are dogs are not trained. Because to me dogs that are ignored and expected to lay there are neglected. Just sayin'

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I bet you see a lot as a groomer.
Oh, don't get me started!

I don't judge people so much on whether their dog is trained. I've come to expect that most people don't bother to obedience train their dogs. As long as the dog comes to me regularly, I can "train" them to accept grooming, and to behave reasonably well while in the salon.

What makes me crazy is when people don't listen to me when I tell them that their dog actually needs to be groomed more than once or twice a year. I don't care who does it--if they do most of it at home and only come to me once or twice a year, that's fine--but it needs to be done. And it makes me crazy when they lie to me and tell me they've been grooming their dog at home, when he has 2" thick mats on his legs, and toenails so long they're curving back into his paw pads.

I just typed a bunch of stuff and deleted it all. Like I said, don't get me started. This is a public forum! ;)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I know how difficult it is. Lack of common sense is what pushes my buttons. If I said what I really thought on the forums I visit (and moderate and admin), I'd have to ban myself.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I know how difficult it is. Lack of common sense is what pushes my buttons. If I said what I really thought on the forums I visit (and moderate and admin), I'd have to ban myself.
:wild:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i don't understand why people who can't be bothered to brush their dogs and allow mat to form get a long haired dog.
I know, right?? I think people get a cute puppy on impulse, without having any idea of its grooming needs... I even talked to a Bichon owner who said that very thing. She got the puppy from a pet store because he was cute, and had no clue that he would need professional grooming; she didn't even know there was such a thing.

I can't find an emoticon that can properly express my feelings about this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts