German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost don't believe this, and I am terrified of jinxing this. But somehow, someway-- Grimm suddenly has stopped excitedly, playfully JUGGLING items when I say "Take it".. and instead looks at me with serious, curious, interested eyes now-- and holds it calmly............. and then I add "Heel." We went about 10 feet first, then i had him sit, focus, release into my hands. He DID it! No more sillyboy juggling the item and dropping it!

After he does this, we play a bit with the item (it's a fake length of firehose type of retrieving bumper toy), I make it fun, but at the end, it comes back to my posesion.

Today-- we calmly walked 40 FEET with Grimm CALMLY carrying the object! Right past a lady walking towards us munching a Danish pastry in a crinkly bakery bag!! Grimm held fast the object! and heeled right on past! No drops, no juggling, no fidgeting! His eyes seem to be concentrating-- for the first time EVER-- on the idea that this is something serious, that I WANT him to do.... it matters to him!!

This is new behavior. The only thing I have done differently with Grimm is changed his diet to raw... he concentrates better and settles better, is more calm. Can diet make a dog fidgety?

I had no access to a dowel, this toy was the best i could do. i didn't have any training guidance on this issue. i am so excited! Grimm got SO MUCH praise today!

Any tips on making the hold-and-carry good? He now seems to "get it" that this "game" is actually something he does for ME.. and that it has a begining (take it) a middle (carrying it at heel) and an end(releasing it and waiting for what is next.. play, kisses, snack, whatever.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bonnie! You're right.. that needs to be the next step. I think I will have him carry the training dummy.. and his play reward can be his squeaky gear toy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.