German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
West German working lines.

His father Hudson was a competitor at the German national schh3 championships (BSP).

Hudson's father, Karn Fegelhof, also a BSP competitor, was very drivey, strong dog, going back to Berry v Neuen Lande--brother of Blacky, an excellent worker who came oh-so-close to a perfect 300 at the WUSVs, only to break down and fail in protection work due to issues with engaging the helper. Still, a very nice fatherline, and I don't avoid Blacky/Berry in a pedigree--he was a great dog who I think was "overtrained" to the point he couldn't handle the pressure from the handler and the decoy at the same time.

Hudson's mother was imported and is now owned by Chris Stump of vom Silbersee.

The motherline also is very strong, going back to Sid vh Gremm--he put a lot of hardness into his pups. I had a Sid daughter who had the highest pain threshold I've ever seen. Have to be careful with hips with Sid progeny, however.

Just guessing based on pedigree, I'd expect your dog to have moderate to high handler hardness, high prey, but clear-headed, not hectic, moderate aggression/defense levels. Not a dog who wants to work out of defense, but who can handle the pressure when it comes, especially if his fight drive is engaged and developed. (Maybe more of a fight drive dog than a defense drive dog) I would expect a fairly clearheaded dog with good drives, and probably somewhat slow to come into his full drives (seems common for the Koerbelbach lines to take a bit longer to grow into their prey/fight drive).

I'd be very slightly concerned about hips between Gildo up top and Sid on the bottom--except that the first 3 generations behind him have all a-normal dogs, so these dogs have obviously been bred with great care and attention to hip status.

Looking over the pedigree as a whole, I really like the dogs behind Hogan. The motherline brings in Sid and Troll and Harro and Aik vh Cindy. And it goes back to these great producing dogs through some very good dogs, most with Schh3 titles (even the bitches), many V rated. Is his mom fairly dog dominant/dog aggressive? Both Sid and Aik vh Cindy could bring in dog aggression.

I feel rather like I'm writing horoscopes while I write this--it is largely guesswork, and the first encounter with the actual dog being discussed could blow all of it out of the water.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, Christine, for taking that typing time!

Hogan is 19 months old, so the picture is not complete. I have noted that he is slow to mature and drives seem late to come on. One gets the feeling there is a lot of dog to come though, so I wait. Protection, he brings a good degree of drive already. He does not show hectic behavior.

He is not real handler sensitive and responds very well to correcton, but he is very oriented to me and does want to please. He likes petting and interaction. So, he is a pleasant dog to work with. Hogan seems a very "solid" dog. Not flashy, calm and clear.

I have not worked him a lot in protection because he has always done very well each time I bring him out, so I am mostly waiting for maturity. He shows he will love a fight. His prey is high and if the helper does not show him a bit of some challenge it will dissolve into a game. But, if he sees a challenge it is nice to see his response. He is not much of a defensive dog but he has aggressive fight drive.

Hips and elbows did prelimn okay. The hips are not excellent, but I hope for a fair to good if all stays okay.

As to the dam being dog aggressive, I don't know. I know she is a pretty serious bitch who does not wear her heart on her sleeve. She will protect.

Anyway, I really like what the Hogan dog is showing thus far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts